RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Aint been on for a while, busy doing other stuff, however, I have a major problem with the sp1 (uk model)

I recently bought a sp1 track bike (still have the road bike) it has a pc3 on, set up properly on the dyno, I did a trackday on it last week and although it was fine for the first two sessions it developed a very bad misfire, so bad it was dangerous to ride

I disconnect the power commander and it was still the same, it reminded me of my road bike a few years back, that turned out to be the immobiliser cutting the engine, obviously the track bike doesn't have one fitted

I checked the plugs, the rear one was fine, the front was wet

It has a vapor dash on and starts off the kill switch and start button, no ignition key

As I said, it really feels like what was happening with my road bike

Strange that it took a couple of session for the problem to start, it was fine before that and whilst on the dyno

Any pointers folks will be really appreciated

Cheers Rob

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
there is a bundle of grounds that connects to the right side of the bike at the front of the subframe. your ignition coils are grounded here. if that is loose you'll get intermittent spark.

it's also possible that you have a bad coil. i had a coil go on me on my last rc51 and it was awful to ride. it would work intermittently so it made for a wild ride

·
Registered
420 Posts
there is a bundle of grounds that connects to the right side of the bike at the front of the subframe. your ignition coils are grounded here. if that is loose you'll get intermittent spark.

it's also possible that you have a bad coil. i had a coil go on me on my last rc51 and it was awful to ride. it would work intermittently so it made for a wild ride
1+

If the plug is wet and its only on the front cylinder it is a 95% chance that you have a front coil issue or plug. that may be ground, bad coil, bad plug, water in the plug whole, bad wire.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Battery connection is coming loose
1+ check that. On my previous rc the po had stripped the negative battery bolt it was not obvious and only occasionally happened.

·
Registered
221 Posts
also check for worn or rub spot on coil wire. could be it is rubbing through insulated wire

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys

Thanks for your input

I have put some new plugs in, took her out for a blast, still missing, checked the plugs and they were fine, will have to investigate further

Cheers Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really stuck here

Had the bike on the dyno, run it for ages so the bike was real hot, didn't miss a beat, no misfire at all

I cant understand why it would not do it on the dyno but will do it out on track after a few sessions

Confused, any more pointers

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
replace fuel pressure regulator

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
yeah LDH got it. if it doesn't do it straight up and down it's pretty obvious.

the BAS is attached to the plastic behind the rear shock. it has a 3 wire connector that plugs into it. jump the two outside wires in that connector and insulate the middle one to bypass the sensor.

if that clears up your issue the choice is up to you whether to leave it bypassed or to replace it with a new one

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That BAS location is for the SP2. I seem to remember it is in the front upper cowl on the SP1.
er... i don't think so man. it's in the upper cowl on the 600rr/1000rr

but the sp1 tray shows the mounts for the BAS as well.

i'm not sure where they could even put it in the front of an sp1... it's essentially the same as the sp2

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I wasn't entirely sure I remembered correctly so I'm glad I qualified that post, figuring with all the knowledgable members here it would be corrected if necessary. I must be remembering some other Honda's I've worked on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your help folks

Problem now solved, turned out to be a dodgy connection on the main ignition feed

Cheers Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts