RC51 Forums banner

Bar Risers

14K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  ZeroGara 
#1 ·
Good day and Happy New Year to all, I am looking for some assistance.

Long story short, I am 54y/o and recently fell on the ice and damaged my shoulder, elbow and wrist. Knowing that the current riding position will become too painful, and not really wanting to part with my pristine 2004 RC51, does anyone know of any Heli bars for sale by individuals since Heli no longer makes them for our motorcycle? I'm also open to other options.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Davetti

#3 ·
Thank you Stu494. Just sent them (Gilles) an inquiry. Hopefully the variobar will work on my bike. This is certainly an alternative to Heli, but in all honesty after reading an old Sport Rider magazine review, I'm hoping to find someone that no longer needs their bars.

Davetti

#4 ·
I have a set of Heli-Bars that I removed last year.
I don't think I'll be needing them anymore.
They'll need repainting as some of the paint got chipped off.
I can send some photos if you want.
By the way, they use the stock bar ends that screw into the bars.
Or any other aftermarket bar end that uses the OEM method.
They cannot use any other bar end mount method.

#9 ·
You may also check out Spiegler. I bought their dual front brake line kit and included was a catalog of their other accessories. They have some pictures of their high rise bars with a modified fairing. Looks almost holligan,with a Sport touring position as the end result.
Good luck,
rc51 Red Rider

#10 ·
Bar-Riser Clip-Ons

Hey Davetti! This has been on ebay since late December: item #> :130360247727: They're Cycle Cat Adjustable Clip-Ons that are 50mm's for the RC51! They cost almost $400!!! and the start price No-Reserve is $150! I would buy those before buying anything else! Because they're the BEST! Sellers Name' ebay ID; (guidoxpress) As of Jan 21, today, they are still available!

#12 ·
I bought them from SubSailor last year. Sent them back to Heli to be refurbished and x-rayed for any cracks (none to report). All is good and I now enjoy the bike even more. It took a couple months to get use to the position, but now I would not go back.
Sad note is that Heli no longer makes them for the RC.
Davetti

#16 ·
I have debated against this practice elsewhere on the fact that this is bad for your wrists, even if you were to like the positioning of having your wrists bent down and outward. For a man who has had wrist damage this would be even worse.

In terms of ergonomics for the lay man, sit on the bike, bend on your normal long distance riding position and put your hands close to where the bars should be. Bend them left to right from lock to lock, then up and down, then twist them cw/ccw and see the range. The best resting position is half way in the range of each one of those movements.

By turning them upside down you are getting your wrists at the limit of one of those directions which is bad for your wrist and requires further arm and body movement to compensate for what your wrists will not be able to do.

On top of that, your reservoirs may be hitting the fairing when you are done :)

There are people though who have done it and ride like this for a long time, so who am I to tell them how wrong they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.