RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new here and signed up to find out more about my 2005 RC51.
Right now I'm having a problem. I took the battery out to have it charged at the store and when I tried to re-install the battery, the power doesn't work.
What am I doing wrong?
I attached the negative to the negative. The positive to the positive. The other wire, I don't remember which side it goes to, but tried both sides. I then plugged in the fuse, but no power. Any help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, that is probably the wire from the Power Commander, even though the wire doesn't look like it's coming from the trunk space where my Power Commander is. Anyways, I don't know why power's not flowing when I tried connecting it.
Can a battery neutralize if you put it in backwards and connect the negative to the positive and vice versa? I accidently did that last night.

·
Premium Member
6,486 Posts
I hope you didn't kill something when the polarities were reversed.
I know on some of today's cars, you'll fry some electronics if you do that.
You can try disconnecting the Power Command and connecting using only your ECU to see if the PC unit is bad.

Is the problem with the engine not starting and running, or not starting at all?
A good battery should have 12.5 to 13.0v when charged.
If your battery is below 12.0 when charged you may have a bad battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have blown a fuse. Nothing happens when I turn the key...no revving, no lights, and no nothing. I may have to check the fuses. Do you know which it may be?

·
Premium Member
6,486 Posts
There's a 30A main fuse inside the starter relay holder.
There's also a 30A fuse that goes from the positive battery post to the ECU via the back angle sensor relay.
Then there's the various 10A fuses in the fuse box on the left side of the bike, behind the left cowl.
If the bike is totally dead, the it's probably the main fuse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay...I know where main fuse B (30A) is, right above the battery compartment inside the container. That fuse is fine.
I can't find the other ones.
Starter relay holder? Sorry my bike jargon is terrible :$
Don't know where that is.

·
Premium Member
6,486 Posts
The fuse box is behind the left cowl (fairing).
The main fuse in the photo is under the rear cowl on the left subframe area.
You'll see where I labeled the starter relay when I had mine apart last year.
That's the rear ignition coil and regulator/rectifier it's between.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to take my bike to the shop. They even told me that it was a hassle to get to the fuse. It was the main fuse in the rear cowl that had to be replaced, but it was not easy to get to. Thanks for the help tho!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts