RC51 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2003 RC51 this past winter (Superbowl Sunday). I gave the battery a full charge, then trickle charged it. I rode it for the first time last Thursday, 30 Kms to the bike shop for inspection, plugs, oil& filter. I picked it up today, and rode it home. About a Km from my house, I am downshifting and the bike stalls. I start it up, then it stalls again at the lights. It will not start, it cranks, but nothing (not even the fuel pump motor). I walk the bike home. The battery is charging now, but could this be a battery problem, or worse? I would have thought 10 minutes on the hwy would have kept the battery charged. Why would it stall downshifting to the lights?? Yes, it has lots of gas ! Even if I buy a new battery, I am going to be concerned about going any distance until I know everthing is ok!

Thanks
DaveT

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Once the battery is fully charged, it should read around 13.0 to 13.5v.
Then check your charging system output.
If the bikes starts, and you have a meter, measure the voltage across the battery posts.
At 5000 RPM It should read around 14.5 to 15.0v. Should not go over 15.5v.
If the output is below expected, then you may have a problem with a stator coil or the regulator/rectifier unit.
If the battery is less than 12.3v then it's low, if it's below 12.0v the battery is discharged or has a bad cell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take a volt meter and see if your battery is full charged it should be around 12.5 volts. Then start your bike and see what your stator is putting out. It should be between 13 and 14.5 Volts.

Josh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts