RC51 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original battery on my '04 RC died a couple of years ago, and I replaced it with an new (expensive) one. For several reasons, the bike hasn't been ridden since then, but it's been in the garage with a Battery Tender connected. Yesterday when I attempted to start it, which I've done every couple of months, it turned over two or three times and then quit. Any theories? The bike is very low mileage (4500) and the garage is tight and dry.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Got to start with the simple stuff.
Are you sure your battery tender was working properly? It sounds like your battery is low.
How much voltage does it show?
Recharge it fully, then try to start your bike again. See how much voltage the battery drops to when you're cranking the engine.

Sounds like your tender failed, the battery sat and discharged, and now we really don't know if it will hold enough charge to be reliable. You may have to bite the bullet and buy another battery.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Got to agree with Jondog, could always take it to advance and have them check it and then fast charge it or any bike shop worth their salt...

It sounds like it just had enough juice to throw the engine over but all its power was being used for that making the spark too weak to actually fire up the engine....

Could always try a jump start with just to make sure the bike fires up.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts