RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I/m looking for some feed back on your battery suggestions. I am considering a Ballistic EVO2 12 cell. Fits in the compartment and ways just 2lbs 5oz and 360cca. I'd like to get some feedback and opinions!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Hey I/m looking for some feed back on your battery suggestions. I am considering a Ballistic EVO2 12 cell. Fits in the compartment and ways just 2lbs 5oz and 360cca. I'd like to get some feedback and opinions!
I installed a new Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 on 8/8/13 which seems to be working fine.

Worked so well I decided to 'be nice' and buy my brother-in-law one for his YZF-R1 (well the Alien Motion brand version anyway). Luck ran out. Something was wrong, still not sure what, but he decided to take it to the shop the let them diagnose his electrical system thinking it had a problem, but after a week and some $$$ they found nothing wrong but the battery. But here's the thing: While the shop had the bike with the brand new lithium battery, they apparently over-charged the battery since when he got it back the battery was hugely swollen, sides bulging out like mad. That's when I learned (and the shop should've already known) that 1) you should not charge a lithium battery with a regular lead acid battery charger, and 2) you should also not jump-start a lithium battery off a vehicle with a regular lead-acid battery ... bad things happen. I have quite a few emails back-and-forth with the Alien Motion tech answering questions and explaining that lithium batteries can't handle the in-rush from a lead-acid battery.

So, while so-far-so-good for me, I would probably not buy another lithium battery.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Since you have Shorai, let's go with the real source for info on them. From Shorai....

Q. Can I use Lead-Acid battery chargers or charger/tenders?

A. Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off.
Q. How do I maintain my Shorai LFX Battery?

.....“Smart” lead-acid chargers with automatic cutoff may be used for periodic charging, but will NOT work as a tender/maintainer and should be disconnected immediately after charge has finished. Older lead chargers without automatic shut-off should never be used.

http://shoraipower.com/faq

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
That is interesting, kw ... seems we have some differing info ... here's some of my direct communications:

Me: "So a regular charger for a lead acid battery actually kills these lithium batteries? If so, how does a bike's alternator not do the same?"

Alien Motion tech: "It's not about the charging, most likely the service technican attempted to jump start the motorcycle from a lead acid. You cannot do this because in most situations the huge ungoverned inrush of current will damage lithium batteries. We see swelling of the battery in this situation and with bad regulator/recitifiers."

Me: "Will connecting jumper cables from a car's lead acid battery to the bike's lithium also damage the lithium?"

Alien Motion tech: "Yes and that will apply to all lithiums for the same reason as stated below. It can't regulate the amount of amperage or current into the battery, unlike your bike's regulator/recitifier and stator. I hope that helps so that it doesn't become an issue with your battery."

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a Ballistic EVO2 and love it. Takes up almost no room, little weight and has lots of power. You just touch the starter button and BOOM...every time. To charge it safely, I just hook it up to another battery.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I have a or should I say had a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 and mistakenly plugged it up to my standard lead acid charger and it now no longer is holding a charge. I guess it was one of the ones that Shorai advises against. Really disappointed, that battery wasn't cheap. I'm going back to a genuine Yuasa albeit the YTZ-7s.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have a or should I say had a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 and mistakenly plugged it up to my standard lead acid charger and it now no longer is holding a charge. I guess it was one of the ones that Shorai advises against. Really disappointed, that battery wasn't cheap. I'm going back to a genuine Yuasa albeit the YTZ-7s.
That's exactly what I was talking about.

Didn't happen to mine ... simply because I hadn't needed to charge mine, yet ... but it did happen to my bro-in-law's brand new one :( ... cuz we didn't know better. And because it apparently wasn't charged when it arrived.

You would think lithium batteries would have a BIG bold warning about this ... but I wonder if they don't do that because what's really required is also the charger for it ... i.e. something else you have to buy to fully switch over to a lithium ... and if that info was revealed beforehand, of course less people would buy them, especially when the batteries already costs a lot more than lead acid.

I went ahead and bought Alien Motion's charger for it ... but again I probably wouldn't have bought a lithium battery for about $150 knowing I'd also have to buy a $35 charger for it, too, in order to keep from ruining it.

I don't mean to bad mouth lithium batteries at all. Mine is working great so far, and won't leak acid onto my swing arm again :mad: I just think buyers should be informed of the ramifications before spending all that $ on the new type of battery, and before damaging it, and before finding out you probably also need to buy the correct charger for it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought the specific charger for the Lithium Iron battery, installing it in the bike bike in the rear cowl. So I can just plug the bike in when it is parked.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I bought the specific charger for the Lithium Iron battery, installing it in the bike bike in the rear cowl. So I can just plug the bike in when it is parked.
Good move. Now I'm not sure you need it to be plugged in charging all the time, since they say these can sit for a year on the shelf without losing anything ... but at least you'll have the correct type charger if/when needed.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Doesn't hurt to have it, but a specific Li charger is not needed. Both Shorai and Ballistic can use a regular lead acid smart charger and have specific information and details on using regular chargers on their websites.

Obviously a vehicle charging system is not changed for a lithium phosphate battery. And neither is a Li charger needed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I picked up a Adventure power just about a year ago, seems I've done everything your not suppose to.....
They say it had a amazing shelf life but they don't tell you under a certain temp that shel life is drastically reduced. After a few months of sitting I found it stone dead. Then while charging it I walked away for a minute and it over charged. I brought the voltage down and it's been fine since.
Another thing I found out, during cold weather starting it's advised to turn the lights on for 30sec before starting to get the battery going.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I've been all round the houses too.
Yuasa's where its at for me. I've got one in the garage that's about 10 years old. Its still useful for starting my mates bike when needs be.
YTZ-12 on the Varadero & the SP.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Battery Banter & Bulky Ballast.

Doesn't hurt to have it, but a specific Li charger is not needed. Both Shorai and Ballistic can use a regular lead acid smart charger and have specific information and details on using regular chargers on their websites.

Obviously a vehicle charging system is not changed for a lithium phosphate battery. And neither is a Li charger needed.

Hello, Gentlemen.
Well put, kwtoxman. I mistakenly ordered the Shorai LFX14A1-BS12, instead of the LFX18A1-BS12, when I ordered from the Motorcycle Superstore online last April. However, the first thing I did was to read all about the warnings & info provided by the manufacturer.
After bringing it over to Riyadh, a couple of weeks later, I put it in my 'fridge.
After about 6 months, & without any complaints from my wife, I took it out to try it on the RC. Before I did so, I hooked it up to the charger that the store(Motorcycle Superstore), had recommended & which was a Motostance MS1000 for $ 20.00. The battery cost me around $ 180.00 or so, if I remember correctly.
Anyway, after 30 minutes on the charger, it was good to go, getting the green light from the charger.
It's been firing up the bike without any issues since last September, having gone through some pretty hot weather (40 deg. C or higher with max. 10% humidity), & also some cold ambient temps in the 5 - 12 Degrees Centigrade range.
I'm going to get the LFX18A1-BS12 on my next brief visit to the States in July.
Will keep everyone posted.
I would love to have one for my truck & don't ever anticipate going the Gel or Lead/acid route for my battery choice.

Take Care.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I recently added a Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 to my CBR and will probably splurge for another Shorai when the RC51 needs a battery down the road.

Quite pleased with how light the Shorai is and how easily the CBR cranks over.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts