8,328 Posts
Put it in a can and call it Spam......its all the same :eek::D

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put it in a can and call it Spam......its all the same :eek::D
I'll beg to differ buddy

When I buy canned food, I am aware of what I am about to consume.
It's not the same thing when I buy "fresh" sliced portions of meat.

·
Registered
468 Posts
This is probably what those meat trucks sell when they go door to door selling frozen steaks, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Wow, and I thought chicken Mc Nuggets were bad. Goes inline with Taco Bell's grade D beef they've used in the past.
Grade D is what they served when I was in the Navy.
I know, I helped load cases of Grade D meat before heading out to sea.
I didn't even know there was such a thing until then.

Not only that, but the eggs are coated in wax so they don't need refrigeration.
We used to seal cases of wax coated eggs in plastic trash bags and store them in the bilge for several months.

After a while, the yolks start to turn green, and if the shell gets cracked, they then begin to rot.
We had to eject several cases of rotten eggs out our trash disposal unit (TDU) one evening when they started popping.

One morning, I went to the mess deck for breakfast. The duty cook asked what I wanted, and I told him a couple of eggs.
He reached into the bucket of eggs and grabbed a couple.
When he struck the eggs on the edge of the grill to crack them, two solid green balls that were the yolks fell out, bounced over the combing and rolled down the passageway and bounced down the ladder to crews berthing.
We never did find those yolks. And no, they had not been hard boiled.
I switched over to powdered eggs right then.

Plus all the frozen meat and seafood was freezer burnt to hell and gone.
Eating at Taco Bell or McDonalds was like eating at a 5-star restaurant compared to eating at sea.
And you could bank money that midnight rations (MIDRATS) was always Chef Boyardee Ravioli. Sometimes even warm.

I almost broke a tooth on an insufficiently re-hydrated dehydrated bell pepper on a pizza one night. Either that or an onion.

I can't fault the cooks, they worked miracles with what they had.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Nasty stuff, if you get a chance you should watch "forks over knives" on netflix. It will blow your mind! My wife and I made the switch to vegetarian last January because of it. Theres loads of documentaries on netflix about the food industry. Its kinda scary stuff.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Nasty stuff, if you get a chance you should watch "forks over knives" on netflix. It will blow your mind! My wife and I made the switch to vegetarian last January because of it. Theres loads of documentaries on netflix about the food industry. Its kinda scary stuff.

Yup, I watched the same shows, interesting stuff these industries get away with. I go to a butcher here locally and buy the grass fed cuts, chicken is Amish free range.

No way I could ever become just a herbivore....If God had not meant for man to eat the animals of the earth, he wouldn't have made them taste so good.:D

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Thank God I grew up on a farm. I've always known the difference between whole food and all the processed stuff they call food.
Eat healthy! Stay on the lookout for Big Food and their misleading trickery! Read labels!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Yup, I watched the same shows, interesting stuff these industries get away with. I go to a butcher here locally and buy the grass fed cuts, chicken is Amish free range.

No way I could ever become just a herbivore....If God had not meant for man to eat the animals of the earth, he wouldn't have made them taste so good.:D
Yea it is quite disturbing to watch what goes on in the food world, its just like anything in this world, it's all about money and politics!

I think everything in moderation is the key. Also, the quality of the food you eat. Like you said, grass fed beef, free range chicken, not injected with hormomes and crap. I'm not sure that just vegetarian is the healthiest way to go but its where we are starting. We are planning on cutting all processed food for this next year and also cutting down sugar too. I never thought in a million years I would/could ever not eat meat again, let alone even think about eating healthier in general, but its honestly not that hard. The choice we made to eat vegetarian really opened our eyes to WHAT we eat everyday. It makes you really think about what you're putting in your body! I never wanted to be one of those crazy health people, but I'm slowly turning into one I fear!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts