RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Wheel bearings will hold up...the stock steering head bearings are shite.
When you replace them and you will use a good aftermarket tapered roller bearing kit. Everyone around here uses and sells the All Ballz kit/brand.

I just did my steering head and I check the wheel bearings every time the wheels come off for any reason...

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, gonna be doing my head bearings this winter thats why i checked. only reason i asked about the wheels is that the prev owner used it to commute every day and left it out in da rain. also the rear wheel makes a slight squeal noise, ive noticed it when the engines off and im slowly manoeuvring it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont know if the bearings are anything like dirtbikes but we knock out our wheel bearings & remove the seal covers with a dentist pick carefully and soak them in gas to break down the grease a clean everything very well then repack them with a good grease & pop the seals back in & reinstall them. Better than having to replace them so soon. Very pricey!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
SP2 have a larger diameter steering stem than SP1.
You'll need to ensure a bearing kit is specifically for the SP1.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I dont know if the bearings are anything like dirtbikes but we knock out our wheel bearings & remove the seal covers with a dentist pick carefully and soak them in gas to break down the grease a clean everything very well then repack them with a good grease & pop the seals back in & reinstall them. Better than having to replace them so soon. Very pricey!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
Replacement bearings are not that expensive.
Far easier to replace with new than bother repacking for street use.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I would stick with the NSK bearings....life of theses seems to be above average in an industrial scene:cool:

If possible use a sealed bearing (Designated by a ZZ-stainless or VV or WW for over molded steel and rubber. There are no zerks so the sealed bearing is a better choice here, the wiper seals won't stop everything.

NTN or Nachi are a good 2nd choice. I have not used the Allballs brand but folks seem to have success with them too.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Yes NSK for the wheel bearings...I get mine from a local bearing house, a lot cheaper as well and AllBallz for the steering head as they are a set and come with the seals.

If you are not doing the work yourself you are looking at 2/4 hours labour on the steering head bearings and about 2 hours for the wheels of course parts extra...

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I would stick with the NSK bearings....life of theses seems to be above average in an industrial scene:cool:

If possible use a sealed bearing (Designated by a ZZ-stainless or VV or WW for over molded steel and rubber. There are no zerks so the sealed bearing is a better choice here, the wiper seals won't stop everything.

NTN or Nachi are a good 2nd choice. I have not used the Allballs brand but folks seem to have success with them too.
I think when I looked in my package of All Ballz tapered bearings, they were Timken at time.
Although I'm sure they get shipments from difference suppliers like everybody else.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Every couple months this shite comes up. Seriously, use the search function. :rolleyes:

Sorry nobody, many people would say you are BSing big time. Stock is fine when taken care of. LDH feedback and approved here. http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7428&highlight=bearings&page=2
Not bs-ing just being realistic, sure the stock captured ball bearing work fine if you are doing the maintenance but honestly are you repacking the steering head bearings at the given mileage? Really? I used to but the amount of time it takes to disassemble repack and reassemble you may as well have replaced too.

Most shops will have AllBallz tapered bearing sets or able to order as opposed to OEM Honda since it comes from...well Honda. I don't know the cost but you can attest to the cost of parts here in our lovely country. The aftermarket bearings will most likely be cheaper than stock...

I don't mind when folks ask the same questions over again doesn't seem to bother me. I guess having kids has given me patience where years ago it was lacking...:D

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Not bs-ing just being realistic, sure the stock captured ball bearing work fine if you are doing the maintenance but honestly are you repacking the steering head bearings at the given mileage? Really? I used to but the amount of time it takes to disassemble repack and reassemble you may as well have replaced too.
Wrong. Take a look at the manual. For most people the steering stem bearing maintenance is no issue. The Honda service manual says inspect at every 8K miles for basic function, not repack etc at any identified interval. And only if there is any issue identified then basic maintenance as per the manual.

Most shops will have AllBallz tapered bearing sets or able to order as opposed to OEM Honda since it comes from...well Honda. I don't know the cost but you can attest to the cost of parts here in our lovely country. The aftermarket bearings will most likely be cheaper than stock...
Again, the whole point is the bearings almost never need replacing on the bike, as per Honda inspection, manual information, LDH and supporting experience, etc.

I don't mind when folks ask the same questions over again doesn't seem to bother me. I guess having kids has given me patience where years ago it was lacking...:D
Please don't pull this, many people can refute on the same basis, besides....So you treat adults here the same as your kids? I try not to treat adults as the same as children, which may be considered in a condescending manner.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I try to treat everyone here with a certain amount of respect...as well as my 11 year old son and adult daughter. I said I have patience I never once said I was condescending sir.

The world is an imperfect place kw bearings fail all the time as do fasteners, pistons and electrical sometimes for no apparent reason.

In a perfect world I would assume things would work out according to plan...but sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men just fail.

If a wheel bearing has come to the point of squeaking...I would just replace it.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Kyle.... who and or what had a warm piss in your bacon and eggs this morning ??? Or did the beer goggles let you down again when you seen what you woke up next to ???
If I can not help but notice you and nobody getting along quite well :rolleyes::p:D
Ahhh I know.... there is still snow on the ground ??!! Lol !!!:D
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I try to treat everyone here with a certain amount of respect...as well as my 11 year old son and adult daughter. I said I have patience I never once said I was condescending sir.

The world is an imperfect place kw bearings fail all the time as do fasteners, pistons and electrical sometimes for no apparent reason.

In a perfect world I would assume things would work out according to plan...but sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men just fail.

If a wheel bearing has come to the point of squeaking...I would just replace it.
I'm not talking wheel bearings in my post and FWIW I agree on the wheel bearings.

I was trying to point to the basic the steering bearings knowledge base already discussed on the forum and noting to the OP and all subsequent post readers over time that the knowledge base shows there are minimal issues on steering bearings. People will find this info again over time and the previous steering stem bearing posts have done a much better job of answering the issues than this thread.

As for age/respect, I'm trying to say that one should not use a child as a direct comparison for how one should treat an adult, as you did. That alone can be construed as condescending, if not insulting to adults. You are a stand up guy and I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, I'm just pointing out where that intention was lost.

Kyle.... who and or what had a warm piss in your bacon and eggs this morning ??? Or did the beer goggles let you down again when you seen what you woke up next to ???
If I can not help but notice you and nobody getting along quite well :rolleyes::p:D
Ya, a bit grumpy I guess but only because I want to see all the info out there. I'd like the community to get consistent and accurate info, not contradictory info compared to threads only from a few months ago.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Pesky Pipsqueaks & Strange Bedfellows.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Ahhhhh ... .. . . The smell of warm breakfast .. .. & piss in the morning !
Just what the doctor ordered.
Thanks for making me smile, Duckhunter.
And I hope there's no snow on the ground. It's shake 'n bake time over here in Riyadh (!).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts