RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Rc51 is gonna become a Semi retired street bike
I Plan to get into riding track being we have a track opening up about 2hrs from me its a 2.1mile track an Team Pro Motion is doing stuff there..So my question to everybody is

1. Where to get a track suit an what type should I look for
2. Where an what kinda boots
3. What should I do to the bike? will street tires be ok ?

please keep in mind Im not lookin to turn the bike into a full on track bike is gonna be a Dual Purpose bike with probally 1-2 track days a month a some street time between that..

Im buying a Kawasaki Vaquero Cruiser for my daily riding so I was gonna sell the rc51 but I just cant part wth it..

Thanks in Advance
Paul

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
1-2 days per month is a fair amount of track time.

If you want to get better, then prepare to buy a suit you won't care about crashing in. For me, that wasn't a $3k suit. I bought a NOS 1 piece at a great price and it worked very well.

Buy quality boots that fit well. I have sidi.

Go race tires for sure. DOT and your okay. It is much better ime to use race tires on the track and street rather than street tires on the track. Unless you get another set of wheels.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1. You'll probably get quite a few opinions on particular brands and models - in the Northeast a lot of people swear by Vanson, and a few swear at them. I've bought a $300 eBay suit and crashed in it and it was fine. I have a Kobe suit now and it sucks. You'll want good ventilation (you can always add a windbreaker underneath it in cooler weather), good YKK zippers, and CE armour in elbows and shoulders. Most suits have single zippers in front, but some people prefer 2 zippers so the front can be opened completely between sessions (makes chest protectors easier to deal with too).

2. Invest in good boots. Ankle and foot injuries suck. Sidi's are great boots, but they run narrow, so if you have wide feet, I'd consider A*. I've heard good things about the Supertech-R's.

3. The website of whoever you ride with will tell you what's needed for your bike and for yourself. It varies by track day organization. I ride with Tony's Track Days and the requirements are removing or taping all glass - mirrors, headlight, removing or taping the tailight/brakelight, and good tires, brake pads, no oil leaks, etc. Replacing coolant with water is preferred but not mandatory. It's a good idea to go over your bike before the trackday to check for loose bolts, etc. If you're doing a lot of trackdays, you'll probably want to safety wire the bike.

For a new track day rider DOT tires are OK. If you're doing 1-2 days/month, you'll go through those pretty quickly. You can replace with stickier but still DOT legal tires, or go with slicks. If you get slicks, consider tire warmers (and stands).

Other stuff you didn't ask about - a back protector and I'd strongly recommend a chest protector too. Since you're planning on a lot a track days, consider a set of spare wheels with rains mounted, and rain gear including glove and boot covers.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alot of help an thank you, im lookin at a few suits that run about 800 dollars, i know whats gonna happen once i get on the track im gonna be hooked which i wont mind i cant afford to get tickets being i drive truck for a living so thats why im geared towards getting off the street i figure ill try dot tires the first couple times with i become hooked then ill buy different tires.
If anyone wants to see the track they just built near me search "nysafteytrack" im excited to get this bike out on a track an stretch it out some
Sent from my N860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Get a one piece set of perforated leathers. Doesn't have to be crazy high end stuff, but don't buy junk. A good used set of name brand stuff is good enough. I like one piece suits because they are less bulky on the bike, and safter. Get a back protector. I prefer the vest style that also has a chest protector, as it keeps the back protector from moving at all. Makes it easier to take the one piece suit on and off.

Gloves and boots: get the best you can afford. If you are going to try and save pennies, get used non-crashed stuff. I have Alpinestars gp tech gloves and they rock, and SMX plus boots. The boots aren't bad and I picked them up second hand cheap. They squeak like a mother fucker when I walk though.

For the bike: Check all the fluids, put on track skins if you can. Street tires are just fine if you are starting new. I'm still on pilot power 2ct's running mid pack in intermediate level. I've done about 6 or 7 days on them with minimal wear. Safety wire you oil drain and other fluid drains.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I run a fieldsheer 2 piece suit. Love it crash tested and you can take the jacket off between sessions........much nicer in the summer

sent from my galaxy 3. iPhone killer

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I'd keep the RC for road riding and buy a smaller cheap track bike I wouldn't so much mind crashing if going to a circuit twice a month...
Even a motard bike, perhaps - which can also double as a town tool and negate the need for a cruiser maybe.
RC is a bit too big for learning track days on compared to what else is available but if the RC rocks your boat for this sort of use that's cool too.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Motards are much less likely to highside and possibly cause your body & bike serious damage, due to their softer suspension too. They're light, so quite capable of embarassing larger bikes around corners and being so light they're easier to wheelie, drift, etc. Different bike to an RC!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive been on a few motards i wasnt really comfy on them, the rc will be a test platform for track days if i like it alot i have a friend willin to sell me a 600rr full on track bike so we will see how it goes in the spring

Btw i found yet another rc51 in my area so that makes 6

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Motards are much less likely to highside and possibly cause your body & bike serious damage, due to their softer suspension too. They're light, so quite capable of embarassing larger bikes around corners and being so light they're easier to wheelie, drift, etc. Different bike to an RC!
Hell yes I would rather smash up a motard any day of the week then even dream of taking my RC to the ground again, been down on her twice now:(...no more if I can help it anyways:rolleyes:. I used to be into dirt.... I have ridden a few motards to check it out, I thought it was awesome, fun and a good learning experience too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A racesuite/onepice. the zip on a two suite is not good fore this purpose.
Race boots NO toring boots..many complicated fractures.
Use a good helmet and of corse protect your back!!
If it is your first time on track take it esay and do NOT stress.
Consentrate on finding raceline and your braking point.
step by step you will be faster.. stress and i can almost guarantee a chrash.
By soft road tyres and have fun on/off track.
(no tyrewarmers take it easy the firs 2-3 laps and build from there.
Starts to spinn/slip GET tyrewarmers and slics.
For starters different airpresure on a track do not forget this.
Start oem settings and go from there.
If you deside to go faster there are tons of upgrades.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry Mr green but I've run a 2 pc suit up into nesba advanced and crashed it a few times. A good one will hold up fine. Also tires. Unless I'm racing there is no need for slicks. 80 percent of track riders can't outride the tires they have. Dc3 q2 are both fine up into a group

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you have the kind of funds needed I would suggest the California Superbike School. It's not real cheap but it's a great way to learn how to ride on the track if you don't have your own gear they supply it they also Supply bikes if you don't want to run yours on the track. great instructors the student to teacher ratio is very low so you get a lot of attention

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya the cali superbike school would be outta the question its in cali an im in ny lol.. this new track opening up near me is suppose to have a school so hopefully its good

·
Registered
43 Posts
California supervise school runs all over the country I corner work for them in new jersey

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe thats the school coming to.the track in ny i believe they said it was a superbike school

·
Registered
43 Posts
Might me Monticello just over the pa border. I heard the armaco was too close to the track

1 - 20 of 24 Posts