RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have had my eye on a Bell Star Rally in red from the day I saw one and I am due for a really nice helmet but I am really trying to grasp the fact that its price is close or more than a Arai or a Shoei, anyone have one or want one that could give me some input? Man its a great looking helmet:)

oh btw its $549 :eek:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn, I just realized I posted this in the wrong category, it should be under General Bike Talk?

Sorry can someone move it for me?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Not sure about Bell's after so many years of being only a motorcross and cage helmet. I really only ride with Shoei and recently went to the Arai Corsair V and love it. It is a little loud but I always wear earplugs regardless. The feel and cooling of the Corsair V is unbeatable IMO.

Where r u at in the Showme State?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I scored a deal on a Star. It's the RSD c-note. Great helmet, vents awsome, and the shield change is quick and simple. Only had it about 6 mos. but no complaints thus far.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I scored a deal on a Star. It's the RSD c-note. Great helmet, vents awsome, and the shield change is quick and simple. Only had it about 6 mos. but no complaints thus far.
Is it quiet? I am kind of liking the self tinting shield. However, the Scorpion helmets with the drop down visor inside is the shit.

Scorpion always has a booth at the MotoGP so I am saving my scratch:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not as quiet as I would expect for a high dollar lid. The top vents actually cause some of the noise due to the amount of air they allow. I tried out a friend's HJC with the internal shield. The helmet didn't fit me well, but the inner shield was cool.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have had the Bell Star for over 2 years now. I love it. My last lid was a Shoei X11. It vents well, it is not overly loud, aerodynamics are superb, and the Transitions self tinting shield is really cool. It is a very high quality helmet. The internal bits are removable with snaps for washing when they get funky. It has removable ear pockets for audio if you want to use in helmet speakers or comms, but I never used that feature.

I got mine in the Contra Red scheme for $350 with the storage bag, which is a really nice touch. The Transitions shield didn't hit the streets until several months later.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say the name of the website I bought it from since they are not a sponsor. Is that taboo, Sub?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Bell Apex, I'm not real happy with. I previously had an Arai Quantum II which I loved.

The Bell impressed me with construction, Kevlar mat in the shell, easy shield removal, removable liner pieces for washing, BUT the helmet is noisy, and aerodynamically it yanks my head off in crosswinds. They are inexpensive, (they are made in China) and at times show it, loose vents, breath deflector.
My gut is telling me to bite the bullet and go back to Arai.

A self darkening shield, that is cool, I would LOVE not to use a clear shield and sun glasses!

·
Super Moderator
6,483 Posts
Is it quiet? I am kind of liking the self tinting shield. However, the Scorpion helmets with the drop down visor inside is the shit.

Scorpion always has a booth at the MotoGP so I am saving my scratch:cool:
I wear glasses and the primary reason I bought the Scorpion EXO-1000 was the flip-down inner tinted visor. No need to carry tinted shields or sunglasses.
Any other features were secondary to me and rarely used (i.e. inflatable check bladder).

I had some niggling issues with the EXO-1000 that I had to excuse simply due to the visor.
The worst was the chin vent that has a LOUD whistle at certain angles when riding my RC51.
Sounds like a car is 2" from your bike, which scared the crap out of me the first several times.

However, those issues seem to have been changed on the EXO-1100 plus other improvements, so I'll be replacing my old 1000 with the 1100.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
If you are in the market now, I will see what Scorpion deals they have at the race....They have had a booth there every year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had the Bell Star for over 2 years now. I love it. My last lid was a Shoei X11. It vents well, it is not overly loud, aerodynamics are superb, and the Transitions self tinting shield is really cool. It is a very high quality helmet. The internal bits are removable with snaps for washing when they get funky. It has removable ear pockets for audio if you want to use in helmet speakers or comms, but I never used that feature.

I got mine in the Contra Red scheme for $350 with the storage bag, which is a really nice touch. The Transitions shield didn't hit the streets until several months later.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say the name of the website I bought it from since they are not a sponsor. Is that taboo, Sub?
Pm me the website if you would rather? Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
OK, you got me. I read the reviews, looked at the specs, I was impressed. I got a Bell Star "Livin Large" in Red/Black, Snell 2010 for $349.99, I bought the Photochromic shield for $119.99 (seems to be the best price).

Sure sounds like the deal, we'll see. I WANT TO BELIEVE! My first helmet was a Bell Star full face, 1972.

·
Registered
162 Posts
OK, you got me. I read the reviews, looked at the specs, I was impressed. I got a Bell Star "Livin Large" in Red/Black, Snell 2010 for $349.99, I bought the Photochromic shield for $119.99 (seems to be the best price).

Sure sounds like the deal, we'll see. I WANT TO BELIEVE! My first helmet was a Bell Star full face, 1972.
I love mine, but a helmet is a pretty personal thing. Reviews on (a large online helmet seller whose name includes a place where ships may seek safety) were very positive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Helmet came in, workmanship looks beautiful and well made. The helmet bag is amazing, it has a soft fur liner inside and a special pocket for a spare shield, and further pockets on the outside. The bag is tough Cordura and has handles like a bowling ball bag. Bell also included a second face shield, they had a note saying the anti-fog coating installed on the helmet shield might be defective. So, I have 3 brand new shields, 1 self dimming, and 2 clear, all new!

Easiest shield removal system I've ever used, quick easy vent adjustments. I'm getting a good felling about this lid, can't wait to try it this weekend!

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts