RC51 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the bike with some metzlers on it and have put just under 500 miles on them. Yesterday when I got off the bike I saw a tiny spot where the belt was showing. So it goes without saying that it's time for a new rear tire. The front tire is in great shape. I have a few questions.
What is the best high performance 190/55 out there?
Am I going to be ok running a tire in the rear that doesn't match the front?
Am I going to have to do anything to the suspension to adjust for the 55 vs 50?

I have run pilot powers on my bike in the past but I am curious about pirelli's various models and the new pilot power 2ct
http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/f...codePage=2092004103725_07092004135921&lang=EN

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey Speedster, I can't really speak to what works on the RC51, but on my GSX-R 1000 I was running Bridgestone BT-016's with a 55 profile. They were great. Come spring I am going to replace the Dunlops that are on the bike with them. They are a triple compound tire and they warm up quickly, which is nice this time of year. I have run Metzlers and Michelens, and for the money, They ain't exactly cheap, I think they are pretty damn good.

As far as changing the suspension, I didn't adjust anything on my GSX-R when I went to the 55 profile and never noticed any adverse anything.

Hope this was at least a little helpful.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it was thank you. i like the idea of a multi compound tire
also good to know you didnt have to adjust anything when going to a taller tire

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I've been a Pirelli fan for many years.
I've tried the Rosso's, and the Corsa III's. I liked the Corsa III's over the Rosso's.
However, since the manufacturers have been increasing their prices, I've had to try different brands to find a happy price/performance balance.
The main reason is that here in southwest FL, we don't have many winding roads to evenly wear the sides, so we all too frequently get FSTS "Florida Square Tire Syndrome".

Briefly I ran Pilot Power's, but I can't afford Michelins anymore as they are the most expensive tires out there from what I see.
And my rear tire only lasts 3 to 4 months at most, then the middle is shot no matter how hard I try to even wear.
And I simply can't afford to constantly replace nearly $300 back tires all the time.

I was using Conti RaceAttack Streets and had no complaints.
I'm currently using Bridgestone BT-016's and they are good tires for the money.

However I'll be returning to the Conti SportAttacks.
They are a bit cheaper than the BT-016's, and I like the 190/55 rear profile better.

The question was about the best tires, not the best tire for the money.
So I can't really correctly answer the question.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ride the Micheling Pilot power 2ct, and it suits me very well for street riding. I have great confident in the tire and I have no problem with draggin my knee on the streets, even thought this is not recomended neither a good measurment, just plain fun.

At least here in Sweden they are known to overheat if you push hard on the track causing sudden loss of grip and if yout unlucky a highsider/crash. I only done one track day, and the temperature was low, about 62F so I had no problems. But keep this in mind if it is very hot, specially on trackdays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts