RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for front brakes on my RC... just wondering peoples thoughts on pad choices. I have stock rotors and steel braided lines. Just got the bike with 14k so I'm assuming they are stock pads? The brakes feel good, so I'm leaning towards just going with organic stocks again? I've heard the HRC pads are the shit, but dont really wanna spend $200 on some brake pads right now :(. Anyone try the EBC HH pads? I'm a little concerned that they may eat up my rotors :confused:. I may do a few track days in the future tho on this bike, not sure it the stock pads will fade or not?? I've also heard good things about Vesrah.... any thoughts, thanks :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I'm currently using EBC HH pads. They seem to work fine for street use.
I've never experienced fade or adverse performance
Many riders swear by the HRC pads in either soft bite or hard bite compounds.
I've run Ferodo pads as well with similar results.
I've yet to try Carbone Lorraine or SBC. Some say they're very good as well.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I run the EBC's to and have no problems with them. The HRC hard bites are probably the best but like you I'm not spending that much money for brake pads.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Go for the EBC HH, so far i have no problem on my RC51 when using it. Very gd on track..Until now i used EBC HH, they bite & last long..

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hmm, so far i used it on my race bike(R6) & got no problem on it during the race. (back then 2003-2005)

·
Registered
863 Posts
There is nothing wrong with them but for a heavier track bike like the 51 you will definitely be able to tell the difference between them and say the HRC's.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yup, are rite...HRC is better but expensive...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've used the EBC HH and they are probably fine for street, but I wasn't happy with them at the track. Aside from the price I haven't heard anything negative about the HRC pads, and the Vesrah RJL & SRJL are probably good choices as well.

I have SBS Dual Carbon on my track bike and have been plenty happy with them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does anyone have the Honda part #'s for the HRC hard and soft pads?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
HRC brake pads:
Part # 45105-NL3-621 (hard initial bite)
Part # 45106-NL3-621 (softer initial bite)

Scott's Motorcycle Service lists them at $160 USD per set (two sets required).

·
Registered
106 Posts
HRC brake pads:
Part # 45105-NL3-621 (hard initial bite)
Part # 45106-NL3-621 (softer initial bite)

Scott's Motorcycle Service lists them at $160 USD per set (two sets required).
Thanks, Sub'; I can always count on your input!
I've just come back to working in one of Australia's biggest motorbike shops (all four J-Land brands), in...gasp! Honda Spares! I'm still settling in after four years away from the game, and I'd forgotten Honda's 'sneaky' parts that don't pop up on command. We only have the 'hard bite' pads come to Aus', which I've just backordered myself a set of. Just a quick FYI: we list them at $90 AUD per set, two sets req'd. This price may interest y'all...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Galfer HH here are in all my bikes
superbike lines on the RC at the end of the year:(

·
Registered
53 Posts
For what its worth. I just installed a fresh set of Honda OEM pads. $115.00 for all 3 sets. I can't imagine any pad feeling any better or stopping quicker than these do. The stock pads that came out at 18k still had meat left on them and worked just fine.

·
Old & Slow Admin
271 Posts
For what its worth. I just installed a fresh set of Honda OEM pads. $115.00 for all 3 sets. I can't imagine any pad feeling any better or stopping quicker than these do. The stock pads that came out at 18k still had meat left on them and worked just fine.
If you have not tried something like the Vesrah RJL or SRJL...or the PF 95's, you're really missing some amazing pads. The stock pads are ok, but the are not in the same class as the ones I listed.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
If you have not tried something like the Vesrah RJL or SRJL...or the PF 95's, you're really missing some amazing pads. The stock pads are ok, but the are not in the same class as the ones I listed.
How's the wear on your rotors with these pads?
Some pads are more abrasive than others.
And what type of riding do you mainly do, street or track?
Some pads may not work well off track.
Just curious as I've never run Vesrah.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ebc's are junk imo, they are a decent improvement over many stock pads. but for the track the best i have run are the vesrah srjl17's. im not crazy about the pf95's or 99's, sbs greens either..

·
Old & Slow Admin
271 Posts
How's the wear on your rotors with these pads?
Some pads are more abrasive than others.
And what type of riding do you mainly do, street or track?
Some pads may not work well off track.
Just curious as I've never run Vesrah.
I run the SRJL's on my track bike (GSXR600) and compaired to the EBC's, they are very easy on the rotors....and last FOREVER!!! I run the PF95's on the RC and have had them on for maybe 3000 to 4000+ miles and again, they are very good to the rotors. FWIW, the RC is my street bike and it might see a trackday here and there but most of it's life is spent on the street. The brakes are fantastic. I also ride the GSXR on the street (I put all the stock stuff back on) and I'm in love with the SRJL's. At least for me and the way I ride on the street....1 finger is all thats needed to dish out some serious stopping power.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts