RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Laguna for the Moto GP race this year. I've never been to that track and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on which ticket package to purchase, i.e. general admission, turn 4, etc.

I'd like to be able to walk around and get to every viewing area at least during the practice and qualifying sessions, then maybe have an assigned seat for the race?

Thanks,

Todd

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I'm going to Laguna for the Moto GP race this year. I've never been to that track and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on which ticket package to purchase, i.e. general admission, turn 4, etc.

I'd like to be able to walk around and get to every viewing area at least during the practice and qualifying sessions, then maybe have an assigned seat for the race?

Thanks,

Todd
Save your money and come to Indy.....we have better seats. The night time entertainment down town Indy is kick ass too.;)

LDH probably has your answer....he seems to know his way around Laguna:cool:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Save your money and come to Indy.....we have better seats. The night time entertainment down town Indy is kick ass too.;)

I went to Indy last year and look where it got me.... a new 2005 RC51 in the garage, thanks to 'bikes on Meridian'!:D That's where I first started noticing the RC51 and it was all downhill from there. Couldn't be happier though.
So long CBR... go burn oil underneath someone else!

I wish I could afford both this year. Next year...Austin!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts

How would LDH know where to sit? The guy laps the track pretty quick, you think he has time to look for seats too? ;)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
OK that was funny even without my narcissistic views...

I agree though save your money and go to Indy. Laguna is a rip-off, you shell out big bucks for 3 or 4 night minimum stays at all the hotels (although they have curbed that somewhat due to the recession), you battle long lines of traffic to get into & out of the track every single day and you really only get to see one decent race. They only run the MotoGP bikes, no Moto2 or Moto3 classes as the support classes are AMA/DMG races that well are just not all that anymore... There is a lot of MotoGP practice going on, but in all sincerity that is about as fun as watching paint dry. They don't spin up, they don't wheelie they just circulate the track making so much noise you can't even speak to the person standing right next to you. It's just not very exciting especially compared to the old days when the AMA used to run wildcard riders with World Superbike etc.

At least at Indy you get to see all the different classes of the World Championship, it is the complete circus!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Oh & if you really want to experience the MotoGP experience at it's best then save all your pennies and go to the Valencia Round at the end of the season. The Racing is awesome, the seating in the stands is excellent and the nightlife party in the nearby town of Cheste is fuckin unbelievable! It gets overran with about 30,000 screaming bikers having a giant party

I have a few short videos of it from our last trip out there, total hooliganism, wheelies in the street, burnouts, rev-limiter sonata's sometimes being conducted like an orchestra etc

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I went to Indy last year and look where it got me.... a new 2005 RC51 in the garage, thanks to 'bikes on Meridian'!:D That's where I first started noticing the RC51 and it was all downhill from there. Couldn't be happier though.
So long CBR... go burn oil underneath someone else!

I wish I could afford both this year. Next year...Austin!
And you didn't even bother to stop in and say hello....:(

Meridian was nuts for sure, me likey;)

You're going to be waiting awhile for the Austin thing. Too much dick measurin' goin' on in Texas.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
The best way to go is to volunteer for USARM.ORG and work the race as a course marshal. You will get inside the fences and will get a chance to see much more than you thought possible. $210 or so for the three-day event will be given to you in cash at the end of the event. You can camp for free at the event and be bused everywhere at the track during the event. Your stuff will be watched by security while you're away at the race. I did this for 11 years during the (1997) Honda VFR SBK run and years of MotoGP (2008). You will have to get up at 6 a.m. to get to the morning meeting and stand around waiting for your assignment. You will be given terrible lunches in most cases, unless you order veggie. So plan ahead. MotoGP has great views from corners: 2,5, and 9. Course workers get views you can't buy. You get a pass/apron to go ANYWHERE on the track, including the pit area, and your seat for the stunt show will be spectacular. USARM.org and ask for MICK or Jim Short. Monterey vs. Indy? from Washington state, (though I live 115 miles from the track) but no question Monterey! Lots of turnworkers come from Washington and B.C. for this event. You may be able to hook up with them on the ride. Nothing better than picking up Danny Pedrosa after he slides out in turn 5.
Man these MOTOGP bikes are small and light. Handling AMA SBKs are heavy by comparison.
NO experience required!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh & if you really want to experience the MotoGP experience at it's best then save all your pennies and go to the Valencia Round at the end of the season. The Racing is awesome, the seating in the stands is excellent and the nightlife party in the nearby town of Cheste is fuckin unbelievable! It gets overran with about 30,000 screaming bikers having a giant party

I have a few short videos of it from our last trip out there, total hooliganism, wheelies in the street, burnouts, rev-limiter sonata's sometimes being conducted like an orchestra etc
Wow, that girl in the middle video really knows how to um...work the wrist. :)

I'd love to go to Europe for MotoGP, especially Spain. Maybe next year if Austin is a no go.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And you didn't even bother to stop in and say hello....:(

Meridian was nuts for sure, me likey;)

You're going to be waiting awhile for the Austin thing. Too much dick measurin' goin' on in Texas.:rolleyes:

I'm sure we saw each other at some point if you were on your RC, as I was keeping an eye out for those. Bikes on Meridian was something else for sure. It was cool to see all different types of bikes and people hanging out and getting along (from what I saw). MotoGP at Indy was a lot of fun. It's such a big place that it never seemed that crowded. I've always been a little leary of Laguna, just because, like LDH said, it's so crowded and expensive. But, that's where my friends want to go this year so I don't mind checking it out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The best way to go is to volunteer for USARM.ORG and work the race as a course marshal. You will get inside the fences and will get a chance to see much more than you thought possible. $210 or so for the three-day event will be given to you in cash at the end of the event. You can camp for free at the event and be bused everywhere at the track during the event. Your stuff will be watched by security while you're away at the race. I did this for 11 years during the (1997) Honda VFR SBK run and years of MotoGP (2008). You will have to get up at 6 a.m. to get to the morning meeting and stand around waiting for your assignment. You will be given terrible lunches in most cases, unless you order veggie. So plan ahead. MotoGP has great views from corners: 2,5, and 9. Course workers get views you can't buy. You get a pass/apron to go ANYWHERE on the track, including the pit area, and your seat for the stunt show will be spectacular. USARM.org and ask for MICK or Jim Short. Monterey vs. Indy? from Washington state, (though I live 115 miles from the track) but no question Monterey! Lots of turnworkers come from Washington and B.C. for this event. You may be able to hook up with them on the ride. Nothing better than picking up Danny Pedrosa after he slides out in turn 5.
Man these MOTOGP bikes are small and light. Handling AMA SBKs are heavy by comparison.
NO experience required!
Thanks for the tip! That sounds pretty awesome! I was thinking about volunteering at WSBK in Utah this year, too. My luck though they stick me on bathroom cleaning detail. Hey wait maybe that wouldn't be so bad...if it weren't the mens bathroom. :)

I'll look into the USARM volunteering at Laguna.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
In my younger days I worked a lot of events to gain access. What that lead too was 20 years of working at the race track as a crew member for teams, a track instructor & test rider plus working the vending booths selling motorcycle parts.

The last thing I want to do now is WORK at the racetrack when all I want to do is watch the action LOL My ass is going to be up in the VIP suites sucking down cocktails and eating lobster. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my younger days I worked a lot of events to gain access. What that lead too was 20 years of working at the race track as a crew member for teams, a track instructor & test rider plus working the vending booths selling motorcycle parts.

The last thing I want to do now is WORK at the racetrack when all I want to do is watch the action LOL My ass is going to be up in the VIP suites sucking down cocktails and eating lobster. :)
Got an extra ticket for that?! :D

BTW, what's a respectable (non-motogp) lap time for Laguna?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts

The last thing I want to do now is WORK at the racetrack when all I want to do is watch the action LOL My @#!*% is going to be up in the VIP suites sucking down cocktails and eating lobster. :)
Now I KNOW I hate you. I truley hate you! :mad: :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
I prefer to walk the track while the race is going. I get to turn 2 early to watch the start of the race - nothing like watching a bunch of guys hell bent on the holeshot cramming into a hairpin on cold tires! I'll then go over to turn 5, across the track and halfway up the hill. I'll sit there for a bit - you can see turns 2, 3, 4 & 5 from there - then head around past 6 & 7 over to the corkscrew. I'll hang out there for a few laps (more if there's racing actually going on) and then go back to the top of the hill to finish the race. From there you can see more of the track than anywhere else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts