RC51 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my undertail installed, I'd been putting it off.... After hearing all the negatives, I was surprised that it went as well as it did. The most difficult part was trimming the stock undertail with my dremel. After 2-3 cutting wheels breaking, I finally finished. I cut it in a way to retain the rear most subframe mounting points and all the relay mounts so I could keep the trunk clean. Soldered and shrink wrapped all the connections, and put some wire loom in to clean up the looks. I also drilled 4 extra holes to give it a more ridged, "hard mount" to the OEM piece, held on by 4 stainless fairing screws and spring nuts w/blue locktight to keep things nice and tight. Picking up the LED flasher unit at lunch today to finish it up, but I am happy with the look. The undertail itself was better quality fiberglass than expected, and "finished" in silver. Anyways, the finished picture:

I'll take some detail pictures of the inside when I get home tonight. I was too tired/busy last night.

Reactions: CapeCodderRC

·
Registered
179 Posts
looks good man!!! take some pics of connecting the wires. also did you get a relay for the leds? Are you doing a separate license plate light?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
looks good man!!! take some pics of connecting the wires. also did you get a relay for the leds? Are you doing a separate license plate light?
Wires are all soldered, shrink wrapped and loomed, but I'll snap some pictures.

I just picked up the relay for the LED's at lunch, plug & play, blinkers work great now. $19.99, a bit pricey, but convenient pick-up.

Yeah, license plate light is separate, will be mounted in the wiring bump of the "type 2" undertail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts