RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been sitting since September of last year. I ran the bike almost out of gas but I am sure there was a little left in the tank and lines. Fast forward to today....

The shop who has been doing a lot of work on the bike this week says the bike wont start and the "all four carburetors" need to be cleaned and there is going to be about 5 hours labor in it....... Obviously this sounds like horse s**t to me and we all know why!

Anybody have any cheap alternatives or ideas as to what it could be without me having to drop another $500 on it? I just want to ride it before the damn summer passes! HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would pull my bike out of that shop ASAP......
They've lost all credibility by lying to you that way, I mean four carbs? Really?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
For the RC not starting...it could be a few different issues. If you do a search you'll find a few threads about it.

Is the fuel pump priming? From there your TSing will take you a few different directions.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Find another shop, these guys obviously have issues..

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you feel they are rally tryi g to get over on you contact better business bureau. If you do t flag them they will do it to someone else.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Had exactly the same problem after mine had been stood for years (not that it had suddenly sprouted carbs:eek: ), I had spark, I had fuel, it just wouldn't run. In the end after checking and rechecking everything, I squirted some fuel directly into the THROTTLE bodies while turning her over and she fired up, then died after the fuel I squirted in ran out. Did this three or four times and she began to run without having to squirt fuel in. Been fine ever since, never really got to the bottom of it, but it worked for me.

Now get your bike out of there now, before they do some real damage!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I'm thinking the person that told you that was reading off the wrong work order. Was this a phone call, or in person? Bad communication for sure, but could have been a simple mistake.
What did you say when they told you that?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Had a similar problem with my recent RC resurrection, sat for 8 years, no fuel in the tank or lines. I told the shop of the bike's condition and how it was stored. During breakdown they pulled the fuel regulator and pump. Forced a cleaner and fresh fuel through the lines, pump, and reg. Mech said he didn't see anything that concerned him but there was still fuel in the lines. Guess I didn't get it all out. Still after running the bike the reg needed some more attention, nothing major but it has been running strong since.

Could be miscommunication as jondog9 stated, or could be a regulator needing attention. Either way, stacy calm, talk face to face with mech and get it squared away. More than likely something minor.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gas can go bad over that time frame and have a varnish smell to it and gum up your injectors. I had my aprilia injectors cleaned for like $35-55 an injector. I would clean your fuel system. It's easy to do on your own.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They left me a voicemail yesterday and I called them back immediately but they were "closed" until Tuesday. I think I am just going to pick it up and bring it back to the house and try to figure it out myself with the help of all you guys. That's why I love this site so much. You guys are always awesome and very helpful!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would go for some fresh high octane rating fuel and a dose of fuel system cleaner (just put some through mine)
If the fuels not getting in and you want it to fire you could try a spray of damp start into the intake, that stuff starts just about anything as it goes in with the air as opposed to the fuel system, its super flammable though so watch out for blow backs and don't be looking in there when you spray or you will be growing new eyebrows and looking like a Klingon for a while :eek:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bike will be back home tomorrow as well as my new battery. The bike is turning over and the compression is good they said. Sounds like bad fuel I am guessing.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had issues with my RC starting after it sat for a few years. I had the injectors cleaned because 3 of 4 were stuck. RC Engineering did it for me and told me that the injectors could stick again. They were right. They stuck open and caused all kinds of issues. I bought new injectors and they worked perfectly for about the next five starts. After that, it started flooding the cylinders again. I visually verified the fuel leaking through the bleed holes below the injectors when the fuel pump would prime. Ended up needing a new fuel pressure regulator because it wouldn't open up to regulate the pressure, and now it runs like a top.

I guess the moral of the story is don't let it sit with pump gas because the ethanol blend gums stuff up pretty bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts