RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and after finally getting the RC to run I rode to work this morning. A mile after exiting off the freeway to a side street the speedo went to zero, the tach stopped working, the display blinked a few times and the bike stopped running. Tried to restart and nothing. Display won't even light up. Checked the battery in my buddies bike and it fired right up, so it's not the battery. I checked all the fuses that I am aware of none were blown that I saw. Checked the grounds and they looked good. No loose wires that I could see. PC is not hooked up. It has to be some sort of electrical connection issue or maybe a component failure?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
1) Fuse box in front of your left knee
2) 30A fuse on the starter relay, underneath the seat cowl, on the left next to the reg/rec
3) 10A fuse next to the battery's lid

All of those check out OK?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that doesn't seem to be it either. I'm totally lost. I've triple checked the fuses, jiggled every possible wire including those under the tank. I'm not too electrically inclined... I'd really hate to take it to a dealership and have it be something silly and expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
So the bike still starts up fine if you hit the starter button?
Does it crank over but not start? If that's so, does it have spark on the coils?
break it down a bit so we can pinpoint it.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Noted by RB earlier, this has been said a million times..... Use the troubleshoot section in the service manual.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the bike still starts up fine if you hit the starter button?
Does it crank over but not start? If that's so, does it have spark on the coils?
break it down a bit so we can pinpoint it.

There is nothing. The gauge cluster doesn't even light up. No turn over, no fuel pump priming, nothing. All fuses are good.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Ok.

Follow your main key ignition switch's wire. That one has a 3p connector which has three wires, Red, Red/Black and Blue/Orange. Unplug it off the harness.

Use a 12V tester on this with it's clamp on a bolt of the frame's

Touch the Red wire before the connector (harness side). Does it light up?

1) --> Yes. Then plug the key switch's connector on the harness and turn the key to on and touch the other two wires on the connector to see if they are "live"

2) --> No. Lift the tank and go to the 2p connector which holds a Red and a green wire on it. Is the Red "live"? If not then the problem is on your starter relay. Assuming of course that it's 30A green fuse is good as you say and the wires from it's connector to the 2p connector under the tank are not damaged.
However if that Red wire on the 2p connector is "live" then the problem lies inside the harness from that connector to the key switch's 3p connector.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After fumbling around with the wiring for a while and tracing every wire found the culprit. Wire running to the starter relay worked its way loose. Feel stupid it took this long to find the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts