RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out enjoying lunch with a few buddies and as we are talking and walking to the cars there is a loud crunch (the one that sounds like a bikes falling over and breaking into pieces).

I turn around to see the RC laying on her side (1st time ever) and a truck pulling forward. The truck has backed into her tail and that pushed her forward, retracted the kick stand, and over she went.

I don't have pics to share right now but so far it a LS mirror, probably a front fairing, left fairing, turn signal, clutch resevoir, bar end, tank (repaint), shift lever, rear cowl, rash on muffler (tiny bit) and I'm not sure if the clip on is bent and the same with the LS exhaust (high mount).

It has the wing overlays for the silver with shadow wings and I'm not sure how that's going to play out. Same with the Hayden decals I had on the bike. This is the first time I've ever had a bike down like this and I'm concerned about the repair process.

Luckily the person who backed into her with his big ass truck works in my section and was right on the phone with his insurance whom I spoke with to give my information (I witheld my INS info). He's a good guy so I'm not worried about him.

What I am worried about is getting the bike back to how it was. Thankfully my Mori rad fins survived!

SO, what are some things I should be aware of, any tips to help deal with this and ensure I get a fair shake? The bike is not that horribly damaged (compared to a forward crash) but fairings will be replaced and the tank will have to be painted. I'm worried about getting close to totaling it-not sure what my threashold is.

I'd also like input in regards to the aftermarket overlays. Since they will have to replace the LS, now the bike is lopsided, same with the tank which has the overlays under the clear coat. I asked if they could just repair it back to stock-and possibly take the over lays off on the RS-good idea?

Same with the turn signals-there's no way to match a new one with the other side...I don't want a mix&match bike when they are done- she was a tight ship when she went down!

Thanks for your future support and advice....I'm heading to the range to "cope".

·
Registered
311 Posts
Scenario 1: You're gonna bring it to a dealership or a Honda certified shop. They're gonna go over it with a fine tooth comb, find enough damage to total it and you get market value for your bike + you're gonna have to find proof for value of the aftermarket parts because bikes aren't cars, you don't fix/paint, you replace. An adjuster from the insurance company is gonna come out and inspect your bike and corroborate the info and cut you the check which you'll feel bummed about because you took care in making the bike yours and the dollar value on the check probably won't be enough to make you feel good about having to start over.

Scenario 2: Check your PMs

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Sorry to hear about the mishap...that blows. As I have never had to repair crash damage (2 crashes and 2 write-offs) I don't have any answers I just wanted to say glad that you are fine and that you were not involved in the wreck.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, the shop I took it to immediately after the wreck is pretty much the only Honda certified dealer and probably the only place I trust to have the bike, there's a Kawi shop on the other side of town and a Harley joint as well...

I honestly feel that I'm in good shape but there's always the worry that bike would be totaled. Prior to this the bike was in 100 perfect mechanical and physical shape, it's purely cosmetic save for the clutch resevoir. Those people know no wrath until the try to total my bike for some BS damage...

I'll try option 2 when I get a chance to get over there.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
An insurance company will always aim to pay out as little as they can get away with. A bike shop will give the highest estimate for repairing it.
Get an estimate. If it's close to the market value of the bike, they'll want to pay a low amount. They'll probably undervalue the bike too. In such case, find similar bikes for high value, save the details and send them to the insurer as examples of what a replacement bike costs. Make sure you can keep your bike - as part of the settlement.

You'll also want to see about rental of another form of transport and if that can be added to insurnce claim, in which case this would make them want to settle quicker.
It's all about the bottom line for them.

Eventually you'll get a payout check & hopefully get to keep the bike. Buy the parts you need new, sell the damaged repairables. Some which can be fixed should be, but use a reputable professional. For example, a bike bodywork repairs place that has a long history of top quality work & strong reputation can fix your damaged fairings, tank, etc.
You should hopefully end up with some money saved in the end. Pocket that - it's your payment for lost time, anguish, etc. and loss in value of the machine, as it's now a damage repaired bike.

Oh - and keep lots of pictures of the bike, so if you eventually sell it you can show exactly what was damaged & repaired & why.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Who is your insurance company. I am hired by a local body shop to do motorcycle estimates and repairs. State farm and geico are great about raising the value based on aftermarket improvements and replacing them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The insurance comany the other driver has is Progressive :)/) - That's who was contacted.

I priced out the parts from Honda East Toledo and it was around the $1600 dollar mark for everything that is damaged. Add paint for the tank, BS flush mount turn signals, and labor to screw in a few bolts and it's getting up there....

I do have quite a few aftermarket goodies on the bike, all are big name items like the Ohlins shock, Moriwaki fins, TurnOne airbox, PC, the exhaust, etc. Those should be reasonably easy to prove cost correct? None of those items (sans a very small bit of rash on a paintable portion of the muffler) have been damaged, just the stock stuff.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Don't stress it for now. Sit back and let the shop and adjuster do their thing. Progressive is pretty good with motorcycle claims, just remember to remain calm. Let me repeat that, REMAIN CALM when you talk to them. Their initial verdict might piss you off, but the moment you give them a reason to put a red flag by your name the entire process can become quite painful.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha! I'm trying to remain calm....but my MF'n woody sticker got scratched!!!

I have to see the lighter side in this....finally well enough to ride after a back injury, preceded by a working vacation thanks to uncle sam, and today was the first day of non-sandstorm to ride...and I just ate a delicious mega burger with ham, beef patty, green chile, fried egg, and beans...in a resturant full of girls in bikinis. Karma is a sick SOB!

I at least got to ride her to the shop I guess....

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So, I'm still waiting on the shop estimate and am supposed to hear from the adjuster tomorrow. I just couldn't help but think that if this works out and they cut me a decent check that could do the work myself an in that case I will do what I have always wanted to do...even if I have to toss a little dough in myself....

Laguna Seca Stars and Stripes ;) Got a local guy I met today at a pistol match that can do the paint. Kind of made me feel better.

Secretly I just want a big enough check to just get the HRC replica exhaust:):):)

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Hopefully the insurance will pay out for new parts. Sometimes the cheque is cut to the shop, so you may have to negotiate with them to buy parts, etc. and get the cash back if so.

If you did end up getting new panels and didn't need the old ones, could I have first dibs?
I just bought a 2005 that's been crashed last night - for my best friend, as he can't afford one. So we're going to rebuild it as a project. He was saying on the phone last night I have too many projects... well, now I have another lol, but it's his! :D

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I end up with factory skins I will definitely give you first dibs.

I'm paying for the assessment from the shop and will deal directly with the insurer. Found out that in Texas that the threshold for totaling a vehicle is at the actual cash value and there is a lot of definitions guiding exactly what that means as far as claims go in TX. Hopefully with the stack of paperwork I have sitting here I can prove my point as far as value.

One of the guys at the shop (if I have to get it repaired there, however I am still researching Texas code) is a huge RC fan and I think I can have him help me out as long as I keep the business there. We shall see!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
That's cool, sounds like you're on the right path there Hig. :D
I'm going to start another thread and show what I bought last night...

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For sure, you guys helped me focus and not fear the worst. I still am worried they will try to total her but I am prepared and the state is on my side! From my research I can see that two things are hated the most in Texas...insurance adjusters and liberals.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I can't see $1,600 + extras being enough to make the bike scrap. Would of course include labour, etc. to the total is likely to rise, but the bike's still worth a lot more. It's just a hassle, but I suspect it;ll work out in your favour. :)

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my guesstimate for damage is like this:

Parts: The discounted cost from RA- $1529.62, I don't know if they use that number or MSRP which is $2190.21. This doesn't include damage to the exhaust. Luckily it was my TwoBro high mount that went down. Just a bracket and muffler...unsure of replacement cost.

Then there is the tank that will need to be repainted, no dents, just repaint. Thing is I have the tapeworks big wing kit under the tank paint....so yeah. Local shop tossed the $700-800 number at me for a factory like job. :eek:

Then of course there is labor, $95/hour. Knowing it takes no time to replace that stuff I still assume flat rate will pay a minimum of half an hour for some items, and hour for others. Probably 5 hours total (have no honest clue could be more)

My high side estimate without exhaust and not knowing labor exactly is $3465.21-wouldn't be surprised if it's higher. If they use KBB values that's flirting for the limit for the ole gal. We all know better and I intend to prove it.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So my estimate was just about dead on: $3586 from the adjuster.

Kicker? Said he may total it. My response? Yeahhhh, no I think we need to sit down and have a talk.

I have nearly that amount in aftermarket parts alone and can't find an RC for less than $5K anywhere near me to replace it. Hopefully I can stave off this BS....bummer is I may not be able to swing that sweet exhaust:/ Where there's a will there's a way though right?

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update2: Guy (insurance ass) said they don't account for accessories in the actual cash value which they are approximating at $4200.

So with salavage cost subtracted ~$1260, that means it would be a total loss but without a salvage title....OKay

This is also the guy that said to repair the exhaust would be $1000. Can anyone guess what the cost of a 2 sisters black high mount system costs? Nowhere near $1000 let alone just a bracket and muffler.

So random venting over...just waiting on a call back with total damages, estimated salvage price, and how much my check is going to be....

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Hig, get the check - buy the (LB!) exhaust then used parts as necessary, then get the panels repainted with new decals. It may cost you a bit more than you are paid, but if you spread it over time you'll get the parts you need. Remember you'll need to get it remapped too, unless someone else has a PCIII map already for the Ladybird. Likely so.
...There's a Silver lining in that adjuster cloud. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts