RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding it on a straight and the whole electrical system shut off all of a sudden; as if the ignition was turned off. I had to turn the key to off and on again and the power/electric came back and I hit the start button. It started rigth away. But later that day the same thing happend again when I was riding through a corner in low speed. Thanks god for that I did manage to stay on the bike.
Following things I have checked.
- I have checked the batteri. It is good and have good capasity. I have also tittend the negative and positive poles.
- I have checked the earth braid and it is in good shape.
- I have Powercommander and GPS tracking on the bike. Idont know if that has something to do with this problem.
- Can it be the ignition?

Anyone know what might be happening here? This is gonna really bother me as it could've been real bad if it wasnt a straight road.

I ride a Honda VTR SP2/ RC51, please help me out here guys :/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much guys. Any idea where to start to find out the bad or loose connection?
Again, thank you for your help.

Tech Talk?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
The main ground is covered by the tail section. Remove the tail to inspect it closer. There is a pinch point between the tank and the frame for the wiring harness, be careful its not pinched or cut there either.:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, buddy. I have checked the main ground and all electric cables are in good conditon but still the same problem.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Check the +ve wire going to the main fuse near the battery. I had a problem with ignition switching off over bumps, etc. and that's what it turned out to be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Freedom Rider,

I had a similar problem with my bike a few years back. The previous owner had put an aftermarket tidy tail on the rear to tighten up the look of the license plate and blinkers. Anyway, in the process, he moved the location of the "tip over" switch. He actually even mounted it sideways. Idiot.

Long story short, check that. I unplugged mine, and the problem never occured again.

My symptoms where I would go through a corner at the track, and as I stood the bike back up, it would be dead. Took me for ever to debug. I actually got good at restarting the bike exiting the corner while i was debugging it.

It's located (and bolted to) the font left edge of the rear fender.
On the left side, look towards the rear shock, then glance to your right.
Hopefully. That is your issue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got a similar issue... Happened twice in about 2 months. Fairly moderate braking and it's shut off on me twice. Both on a fairly straight stretch... I still have no idea what it is/could be... Lucky I was quick to grab the clutch as the rear tire got a bit loose... Ugh. Not comforting at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts