RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a torrential down pour which had been over for about 5 hours I go out to start the bike.

Starts up no problem, runs with the "choke" on and I walk off to speak with someone and the rpm starts to drop but it's running so i figure its ok, as I go to walk back she quits and now won't start...

So is this the fouled plugs thing?? If so I guess I'm googling how to fix this...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Was the bike left outside during the "torrential down pour?"

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes Sir it was, I just pulled into work and right after that it threw it down...

I live in Florida so I'm not exaggerating the rain we got, lets just say small rivers down the road.

Im also wondering if it might be water in the fuel...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Should be a nice solid blue spark if it is properly grounded when you tested. Thinking perhaps the coil harness may have gotten wet? maybe pull everything apart and make sure it's all dry?

If you can, I'd spray some starting fluid in there and see if you can get it to fire. if you can get it to fire with the starting fluid, then you know it's a fuel or fuel delivery issue.

When you pulled the plug, did it smell of fuel at all? i assume you tried starting it again before you pulled the plug.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I grounded it to the front brake caliper where it's bare metal twice just to check, spark looks thin and not very blue. Gap looks kind big though but in use that's correct as it was running.

Where do I find the cool packs? In case I don't find it online in the next 30 mins.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I grounded it to the front brake caliper where it's bare metal twice just to check, spark looks thin and not very blue. Gap looks kind big though but in use that's correct as it was running.

Where do I find the cool packs? In case I don't find it online in the next 30 mins.

That's not the best ground. Try using the engine block or starter housing. You should see better results.

Proper plug gap is in the book and I also believe it's on the sticker on the frame near the steering head.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill retry the ground later with the head, not sure hat I was thinking lol. As for coils ignore me asking they're obviously on the other end of the HT leads. Ill have the bike in the garage later this evening so I can start stripping her down and get some good fuel in there...

Thanks for all the help will let you know.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
You're not supposed to adjust the gap in any way. If they're iridium that is.
Preset gap must be .039 - .043 in. (just pulled that from the svc manual) .040 is what I thought...
Be really careful when measuring. That iridium tip is pretty fragile.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Have you checked to see if you have any codes?
You probably have some old stored codes that may not be relevant, but I believe the codes will display the first being the most recent, and so on.
After you get sorted out and you're back to running normal, take the time to clear all the codes so you're starting fresh.

Till then, I'd also take apart every electrical connector you can find, clean with a electrical parts cleaner where necessary, and apply a dab of dielectric grease, then reconnect.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, only code I get is the Baro code. I am slowly going through the electrics at the same time and have already pulled some dodgy wiring out as show below. Not sure what the switch was for it wasn't connected to anything and has 3 positions and a dimmer so thinking lights...

ImageUploadedByMO Free1378574827.215924.jpg

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Checked the fpr and no leaking from the vacuum, that's either a good thing or no fuel is gettin to it. Am going through the manual I downloaded. Will take a look at the fuel filter in a sec when I find it lol...

Think I've found what I'm looking for... When the pumps running which it does it primes the low pressure system correct, only I'm not feeling anything coming out when I test it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I'm not getting anything from the fuel pump in the tank.... I took off the filter and some brown liquid came out, and connected the pump it spins but I don't feel any pressure out the end....

This a normal issue? 2003 with 22000 miles.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
brown liquid eh? Guess you'll be getting a filter.
If you check the manual, it tells you what the flow rate of the pump should be. I don't know how you'd test it until you get a good filter and reassemble tho.

I'll look for that fuel flow rate.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts