RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
The basics...spark, compression and fuel. You need all three or no combustion.
Make sure also all interlocks are working sidestand, clutch and bike is in neutral.

If all of that checks out and still no love you will need to delve further.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
And also make sure the engine Stop switch near the throttle is in the Run position.
If it isn't, the engine will turn over, but not start.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The 30A if blown will not do anything at all,not even lights. That happened to me once. It sounds to me like a fuel issue. try a short burst of starting fluid in the snorkle with the throttle open, then turn the key and hit the starter. If it fires you have a fuel problem. I had to replace my filter when the same issue happened. E10 fuel sucks and eats the rubber boot at the bottom of the fuel pump.

And sorry to break it to you but the filter was something like $55. It has a U at the top of it and a plain car filter will not work like in most bikes. Not to be a dick but is the fuel cutoff switch on? Fuel,air ,& spark are what you need to find. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's garbage. Just sell it to one of us for $500. lol

I'm with everyone else in mentioning switches. people have been known to walk by bikes and press the stop switch. Since most of us have never used it, we are mystified.

If you have basic tools, I would start by checking for spark. Pull a plug and give it a crank and see what happens. You should get a nice blue spark when you ground the plug. If you have been cranking it, but the bike isn't starting then you should be smelling fuel out the exhaust, and might even see it coming out as liquid from the pipes if you are cranking it a lot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
+1 on everything mentioned. Especially kill switch. Also if you have been messing w/ the PC3, make sure the small wire is wired to the negative side because that will cause it to crank but no start(happened to me before)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your suggestions. I was away on vacation last week, I dropped off the bike to my mechanic and it started up fine for him. I told him to keep it for the week and to keep starting it. Well it finally wouldn't start for him today. he's gonna start trying to figure out what's going on with it. He has another RC there which had the same issue, which was the "power booster". They replaced it and in less than five minutes after install he blew the replacement, they replaced it again and same thing happened again. Mechanic contacted American Honda who told him they had no clue what was happening and advised that he replace all electronics. They have replaced everything on the other bike to a tune of $3,000, which I can't afford.

I hope it's something else, he's checked the tip-over sensor and it check out fine. Any ideas?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Man, your mechanic is worthless......

Just use a multimeter and eliminate one by one issues.....

If the fuses are ok, move on to a good battery. Then check the ignition wiring for leaks. Also the injectors....

What is the "power booster" you mention above? Can you describe the part or/and it's location on the bike?

At your OP you mention that it turns but it won't fire up. Does the plugs have spark?
Is it strong enough? Don you have the proper compression, on both cylinders, that the manual describes?

All these are mechanic's 101.....why contacting American Honda before checking all of those and a lot more first?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Makisrc51

The bike is already at the mechanic's. He called American Honda in regards to the other RC he has in the shop that keeps blowing the "power Booster" ( I have no idea what the power booster is or where it is located), he mentioned that's the problem on the other bike.

I wish I had the time to tinker with it and the know how to figure out the problem. That's why I dropped it off at the mechanics, he's been the only one to work on any of my bikes in the last 25 years, I have full confidence in his abilities. The problem comes up when the problem is inconsistent and electrical.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Man, your mechanic is worthless......

Just use a multimeter and eliminate one by one issues.....

If the fuses are ok, move on to a good battery. Then check the ignition wiring for leaks. Also the injectors....

What is the "power booster" you mention above? Can you describe the part or/and it's location on the bike?

At your OP you mention that it turns but it won't fire up. Does the plugs have spark?
Is it strong enough? Don you have the proper compression, on both cylinders, that the manual describes?

All these are mechanic's 101.....why contacting American Honda before checking all of those and a lot more first?
I'm guessing the "power booster" the mechanic is referring to may be the ignition converter unit.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Someone please tell him that this box doesn't boost anything......just initiates the spark where and when it's needed.........

(My grandma is a better mechanic, if that's the case.......)

Sorry for your trouble Richard.....

I really hope we get to the bottom o fit and you can hear the V-Twin whining between your thighs again........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts