RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as depressing as it is to have to post this, i need some help. I had my 2001 RC51 (absolutely mint - 2000 miles) parked in the parking lot outside of a resturaunt, and well, after grabbing a bite to eat, i come outside to my bike laying on it its left side. The parking lot got soft, and the bike fell over. So, out of frustration, i pick the bike up back on two by grabbing the bars.

So after getting home and putting the bike on stands, theres not much damage, scratched clutch lever, scratched left bar end, scratched left mirror, and a very small scratch on the left pipe. No body damage, thankfully.

Anyway, theose things are easily fixed. But my question is, after getting my bike on stands, my steering seems off (it didnt feel bad when i was riding it, but i was so frustrated i couldnt concentrate). When my tire is straight, the bars look off, and when the bars are straight, the tire seems off. Did i bend something by picking the bike up by the handle bars? Im so pissed about this, any advice / help would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Measure what? I dont even know where to start. Lookign at it, it dosnt make sense what could have bent, something just dosnt seem right.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Since it tipped over in the lot and not at speed, it's probably a tweaked clip-on.
Put in on a stand and align the front wheel with the rear and check the alignment.
You could also check the alignment with the top clamp and steering stem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to change the subject, but where can i get a disk for this? i was goign to cut a peice of plywood, but i want a plastic one. I used to have one...D%^N IT!

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Back in my old dirt bike days, often you'd come off a jump or turn and take a tumble.
The top clamp would get tweaked around the steering stem and the bars and wheel would point in different directions.
Most of the time I'd hold my wheel between my legs and grab the bars and yank.
They'd usually straighten out.
But sometimes I'd have to loosen the top clamp and forks a bit and allow things to align themselves.
Same principle, but now a heavier bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts