RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys ,

I have a 2001 with 49.000 miles on it and it is a daily rider for the last 8 years! Two days ago, I went to start my bike and it DID TURN OVER . BUT DID NOT START . I searched older posts for my remedy.

Let me go down the list of what I've checked so far:

I've checked all my fuses including the starter relay. My battery is fully charged it says 12.8 Volts . My dash and headlights come on normally. I do have a PC3 and I disconnected that and I plugged in the OE wire harness. It still does not start, so i went to pull the rear spark plug and its Wet. So, I ordered two new spark plugs and they will be here on Tuesday.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Check all of your ground connections too. I did not see where you mention the fuel pump actuating when the key is turned on?

In neutral?
Kick stand switch circuit okay?
You mention amps, how many volts does the battery read?

Gook luck, keep us posted:cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that ,

The fuel pump does prime

It is in neutral

My battery is at 12.8 volts

All connections are good as far as i can see

My kick stand is also good !

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out and checked the starter relay switch and it clicks ! Tomorrow I will check the starter motor it self ! Any other ideas please let me know ! I've never had a problem with the bike at all . Because my Spark Plug was Wet , would that be a cause for the bike not starting also ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Hey Dan
Take a 12V tester. It's like a transparent screw driver with a light bulb in it and a wire coming out from the back.
Attach the wire to the battery's negative terminal and with the key to ON and the kill switch to RUN positions, check the the Bl/W wire on the Bank Angle sensor relay if it's "live"

Also check the same Black/White wire at the ECU's Gray connector as well as on the Converter Unit on the side.

You need to remove the rear cowl to have access to it.

Get back with the results and we'll take it from there.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
12.8V is technicallly a low battery. Below 12V is considered a dead battery.
A fully charged battery is usually 13 - 13.5V.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
wet spark plugs? I'd also check the fuel pressure regulator to make sure it's not leaking.
Pull the small vac hose of the regulator, make sure the kill switch is on run, turn the key to on so the fuel pump primes. does it drip out of the nipple you just pulled the small vac hose off of?
I don't think this would cause a no start, but it's worth checking.
With the leads on your battery, how low does your volt meter go when you hit the start button? I'm guessing you might have a weak battery. How old is it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys , Got home and went down the check list ,

Bank angle sensor GOOD
Converter box GOOD
F P R GOOD

I did charge the battery when I went to work and it says 12.8 Volts Still !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
So basically all the Bl/W wires are "live"

By the way, you haven't mentioned the 30A fuse that's mounted on the battery cover but I assume it checks out.

Try something else, would you?

Remove a spark plug, preferably the front which is easier to access, plug it in the spark plug cap, touch it on the frame (away from the plug's hole) and hit the start button for 1 sec

To you see spark on it's tip?

I did charge the battery when I went to work and it says 12.8 Volts Still
That's not so right.....when a healthy battery is removed from the charger, as SubSailor mentioned, you should read a 13 to 13.5V between it's terminals for at least a week.
Can you find another battery to use to make sure it's not it's fault?
If you jump start the bike from a car make sure of two crucial things
1) The car should NOT be running
2) The second the bike starts, you remove one of the two jump wires. Usually the negative one.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Makis, you are focusing on the wrong thing. If the battery has enough juice to crank the starter, it has more than enough juice to supply spark to the plugs. He needs to do as the previous poster said, to check the plug for spark while it is out of the bike and grounded. based on the bike cranking, wet plugs, and sensors testing ok, I'm thinking coils, harness connection, or possibly the engine computer.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
He needs to do as the previous poster said, to check the plug for spark while it is out of the bike and grounded. based on the bike cranking, wet plugs, and sensors testing ok, I'm thinking coils, harness connection, or possibly the engine computer.
I just said that too.....it won't hurt to try with another battery though.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Ok

With the 12V tester, grab it's rear end wire on the battery's positive terminal and touch each ignition coil's Green wire as well as the Converter Box's Green wire.

Make sure you are touching the harness side of those green wires.

Does it light up?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts