RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike was running, as exiting the freeway the oil light came on and the bike died. Oil level is fine, when trying to start, the starter and the fuel pump engage, it sounds like it wants to start but there is no ignition. I smelled fuel so I am looking at these possibilities:
1. Bad fuel. Will spray starter fluid in the front intake to check.
2. Plugs not sparking. Will use an 'inline ignition spark tester'.

I wanted to know if there is a kill switch associated the oil sensor, that would engage to protect the engine. Does the fact of the oil light coming on play into this at this point yet?

This is what my brother told me.
"I was riding at about 65 miles an hour when the oil light came on. A few seconds later the bike's engine cut off. Oil light stayed on. It did not blink/flash off and on."

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Is there a code that its giving? do you have a service manual or access to one, if no use the search bar here for the service manual, It's floating around here somewhere or PM me your email and I can Email it to you....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a code that its giving? do you have a service manual or access to one, if no use the search bar here for the service manual, It's floating around here somewhere or PM me your email and I can Email it to you....
Can you PM me? I can't send PMs yet. Post count isn't high enough yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Bike was running, as exiting the freeway the oil light came on and the bike died. Oil level is fine, when trying to start, the starter and the fuel pump engage, it sounds like it wants to start but there is no ignition. I smelled fuel so I am looking at these possibilities:
1. Bad fuel. Will spray starter fluid in the front intake to check.
2. Plugs not sparking. Will use an 'inline ignition spark tester'.

I wanted to know if there is a kill switch associated the oil sensor, that would engage to protect the engine. Does the fact of the oil light coming on play into this at this point yet?

This is what my brother told me.
"I was riding at about 65 miles an hour when the oil light came on. A few seconds later the bike's engine cut off. Oil light stayed on. It did not blink/flash off and on."
There's no systematic shutoff due to low/no oil. Only the oil pressure indicator lights to alert you to the condition.

What does the oil level window show?

With the engine stopped for a long time, the level will show higher than normal as usually the engine is run for a few minutes, then stopped for a couple of minutes prior to checking the level in the window.

If the oil level is below the Low mark in the window, then it could be near or at the oil pickup level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remember, the ECU stores all the fault codes that occur.

Once a problem is found and corrected, it's a good thing to clear all the old stored faults, or else you could get side-tracked by an irrelevant fault code that's stored.
I followed these procedures
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-911.html

and the FI light stayed solid the entire time. I repeated it about 6 times with the same results. Is it possible that I'm not jumping it correctly?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
On an SP2, the green service connector is near the battery box.
It is a two-pole connector.
Jumper the two contacts and switch the ignition to ON (no need to start the engine).

According to the service manual, a solid lit FI light is either a) a short in the service connector, or b) faulty ECM (although the engine will run normally).

Did you have any electrical changes made recently?
Have you raised and lowered the fuel tank recently as well?

Since the main wiring harness runs over the rear frame section near the fuel tank rear seam edge, there's a known problem of the rear harness getting caught under the fuel tank seam, causing bruising with possible breaks or shorts of wires in the harness.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
On an SP2, the green service connector is near the battery box.
It is a two-pole connector.
Jumper the two contacts and switch the ignition to ON (no need to start the engine).

According to the service manual, a solid lit FI light is either a) a short in the service connector, or b) faulty ECM (although the engine will run normally).

Did you have any electrical changes made recently?
Have you raised and lowered the fuel tank recently as well?

Since the main wiring harness runs over the rear frame section near the fuel tank rear seam edge, there's a known problem of the rear harness getting caught under the fuel tank seam, causing bruising with possible breaks or shorts of wires in the harness.
Yeah, very tight in that area, which I discovered when installing my power commander.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There's no systematic shutoff due to low/no oil. Only the oil pressure indicator lights to alert you to the condition.

What does the oil level window show?

With the engine stopped for a long time, the level will show higher than normal as usually the engine is run for a few minutes, then stopped for a couple of minutes prior to checking the level in the window.

If the oil level is below the Low mark in the window, then it could be near or at the oil pickup level.
same thing happened to me!!! that was abt four months ago and till now three mechanics can't find what went wrong!!!! anyone out there please HELP!!!!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
It's FI, not F1. Fuel Injection.
Or PGM-FI, Programmed Fuel Injection

First thing you guys need to do is to erase old stored codes.
SubSailor already explained it on page one of this thread.

Remember, the ECU stores all the fault codes that occur.

Once a problem is found and corrected, it's a good thing to clear all the old stored faults, or else you could get side-tracked by an irrelevant fault code that's stored.
Even though you're still having the problem, go ahead and erase all the codes.
It's on page 5-8 of the service manual.

After that's done, then start and run your bike until the problem re-occurs.
Look if the FI light is blinking a new code at that point. It might not. In which case your problem is not related to any of the sensors and operations that the ECU can monitor.
But if it is blinking, determine what the code is and go from there.
It would be cool if you come back to this thread and tell us what you've found.
The list of failure codes is listed on page 5-12 and 5-13 of the service manual.

Heres' a link for the service manual.

http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's a poor ground in the wiring harness. Same happened on my 00 929.

Honda likes to put bus bars in their wiring harnesses and when they get corroded they crap out.

It jacked up my light and running lights as well in my 929.

Unless someone knows what I'm taking about they will never find the issue nor where in the harness it is.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It's FI, not F1. Fuel Injection.
Or PGM-FI, Programmed Fuel Injection

First thing you guys need to do is to erase old stored codes.
SubSailor already explained it on page one of this thread.

Even though you're still having the problem, go ahead and erase all the codes.
It's on page 5-8 of the service manual.

After that's done, then start and run your bike until the problem re-occurs.
Look if the FI light is blinking a new code at that point. It might not. In which case your problem is not related to any of the sensors and operations that the ECU can monitor.
But if it is blinking, determine what the code is and go from there.
It would be cool if you come back to this thread and tell us what you've found.
The list of failure codes is listed on page 5-12 and 5-13 of the service manual.

Heres' a link for the service manual.

http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service
The FI light stays on and does not blink when I short the 'green plug'.

I checked the coil(pg 16-8) and it registered at 0.7 and the rectifier wire harness all checked out as well.

I replaced the spark plugs and it still will not start. The inline spark plug tester shows a weak spark.

Where to next?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It's a poor ground in the wiring harness. Same happened on my 00 929.

Honda likes to put bus bars in their wiring harnesses and when they get corroded they crap out.

It jacked up my light and running lights as well in my 929.

Unless someone knows what I'm taking about they will never find the issue nor where in the harness it is.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Would that cause the bike not to start? It cranks but there is no ignition.

Where in the harness is it? Pics?

·
Registered
729 Posts
There is an earth tag (ground) somewhere around the thermostat housing i think
(it is a long time since my bike was stock) check that and also check the thermoswitch connections on the t'stat housing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts