RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Please help. My bike is year 2000 and it won't start. I have a power commander 3 and sato pipes. I took out the commander still wont start, so i put it back in. I have a new battery. I also put new plugs and coils to see if that'll work.. it doesn't. Any suggestions??? I took it on a 1 hr 20 min ride. It was great, felt healthy and it sat for 2 days now I'm here. It has gas, new spark plugs, coils and battery. What's next? It also backfires and shoots a flame.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Shooting flames mean excess of gas in the exhaust.
It also means that your coils give spark.

If your coils dont have spark, its the converter box under the seat cowl on the RH side.
If you do have spark on both cylinders, check your Fuel Pressure Regulator if its busted.

Its an issue that has been discussed here more time that I can count.
The "search" option is your friend

·
Registered
355 Posts
k dumbest thing about Rc's is they will turn over with the kill switch in the off position, drives me bananas from time to time. Its the only bike Ive owned like that. Anyway easy check, is the kill switch in the "run" position?

(Ive seen motors back fire from compression alone, with no spark actually had a motor that would run like that for a few seconds, zero spark.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's in the run position. You can hear it when you change it. My fpr seems good. I checked that out. I'm ordering a new one just to be safe. But I have a feeling that won't solve it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Turn the key to the on position, then turn the kill switch to the off position while the key is still in the on position. With the key still on turn the kill switch back on, when you do this do you here the fuel pump run? It's loud you'll know if it does or not.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If yes you do hear the pump running, have you checked for spark?

What did the plugs look like when you took them out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so I searched on here and everything says FPR I just installed a new one I have new plugs and a new battery and coils. what should I do next it still won't start.
I put the key in and turn it all in the lights turn off I take off the kill switch and you can hear it change then I press the start and it sounds like that tries then backfires sometimes. Idk what's next or the problem. The shop is trying to charge me $100-150 for diagnostic

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
so I searched on here and everything says FPR I just installed a new one I have new plugs and a new battery and coils. what should I do next it still won't start.
I put the key in and turn it all in the lights turn off I take off the kill switch and you can hear it change then I press the start and it sounds like that tries then backfires sometimes. Idk what's next or the problem. The shop is trying to charge me $100-150 for diagnostic
:confused:Say what:confused:

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Might need a little proof reading and editing here. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my bad i was a little stressed. so i put the key in and turn the bike on. everything looks and sound fine. turn off the kill switch and i hear the fuel, like normally and its fine. i press the stater and it tries but doesn't start at all. all the links on here says FPR i replaced even though i didn't need to. i have new battery, coils and plugs also. i disconnect the PC3 to see if it'll work and guess what??? it doesn't. i love my bike and its nice right now in california help me!!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fuel, air and spark.

Check for spark. Pull a plug wire off the plug. Put another plug in it. Hold it near a steel part of the fram, like a fastener head. Crank bike. If spark, spark is good. Go on to fuel. If no spark, check battery voltage while cranking. If low, replace battery. It is almost always a weak battery.

Turn key on. Do you hear the fuel pump motor? If not, you may have a fuel supply problem.

Air. I've never seen a supply problem where there was not enough air to start. It is always fuel or spark.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
This is just me, but I would try a shot of starting fluid sprayed into the air cleaner while thumbing the starter. I would also try measuring the battery voltage while thumbing the starter. The ECU needs a certain amount of voltage to get the bike running. I'm not sure how much voltage exactly it needs, but I believe it's at least 12VDC.
Someone chime in if I'm wrong here please.

From what I saw in the video, I'd suspect electrical. Like a bad ground, or loose connection. Did you double check your all your work, you mentioned you installed new coils...

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you have spark for sure at the plug, and you hear the fuel pump initially, you most likely have a metering issue.

Try to start with the choke on, and the throttle cracked open 1/4 of full turn.

If spark is at the plug, the battery is providing the required voltage to the electronics. Not sure what the R u51 needs. But I bet it is close to 11 volts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Without personally having that issue and saying hey its the pink wire on the instrument panel interconnect plug pin 13,I would pull the left side fairing,tail section, and give all the wiring a good inspection with good lighting. unplug connectors inspect and add a little dialectric before reconnecting. Get the ecu out and next time you try cranking with a good battery source see if the ecu seems strangely warm anywhere after cranking.. It seemed like it only popped when you released starter don't know what that indicates though. fuses are definitely good right? starter doesn't cool to quick be careful with the cranking, it would suck if that went bad now. I hope it ends up being something simple, it stinks to replace parts that might be expensive(like ecu) only to call it preventative maintenance- Don't have a buddy with loaner parts? With all the tips above I wish you luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts