RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i have noticed something odd about my bike. It is supposed to be a 2003... But the plastics except for the front fairing seem to be from a 04..
Please tell me if i am right about that...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my 2002 has significantly different colors...

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
bike in the 1st pic has a 04 tail, 00/01/02 nose and sides

the tank is a 03 if it has gold trim around the "Honda Wings" decal on the tank. its otherwise a 00/01/02, 04 will have a nicky signature on top.

bike in the 2nd pic has 02 fairings but the word "Honda" should not be close to the "Racing" on the side panels. This leads me to believe they might be aftermarket plastics or someone peeled the decal.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tank has the signature. so it is actually an 2003.

Looks like everything else has been pieced together... Oh well

On my 02 i replaced the Honda stickers it was scratched . Probably missed a little. It is all original.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
if its got the signature on top its a 2004 tank.

at this point 100% ALL ORIGINAL bikes are getting hard to find, those that are.....you will know it because it wont be a dime under $6k lol

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I did not even pay half that for this one. It only has 12k miles. (The good) but the body. Work seems to be a nice representation of several years of the Rc lol. I guess since it already had a silver tail I will go with the 2002 scheme with it. Because the black decal set is actually available as I am going to repaint several panels and have the frame and wheels powder coated. My have the wheels done like yours in gold. Love the look. Does anyone know a source for the decal sets? So I could have the option for the 03 scheme.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
None of your pieces are 03, so I won't include them in my description.

Your upper is definitely 00, 01 or 02.
The 04 has a white center.

For the sides, 00 and 01 had a pretty large grey HONDA graphic on the bottom.
04 had one slightly smaller and slightly higher, nearer to the fairing vent, and it was white.
02 had none.

Whatever year your sides are, the Woody is in the wrong spot. Normally the RC51 graphic would be there, and the Woody would have been on the upper, where you have the (00-03) RC51 graphic.

Tail is definitely 04

Tank with Signature is 04.

Some 2000, US models, had the gold striping around the small honda wings on the side. Mine did, and I've confirmed it was the original tank. It''s since been replaced because of the notorious failed weld on the back tank bracket.
I have a guess that the CA bikes for 2000 had these gold-edged wings. Not sure about the 49 state bikes.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Decals, I got a 04 complete graphics, (minus the woody-copyright issue?), from srsigndesign. They're made from 3M decal material, so they're pretty damn good. I've yet to mount them, might not do it for a while, so I can't attest to exact fitment or long term durability. Sost was somewhere under $100.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! i will check them out.
May just do 2004 graphics with the black frame if i can find those...

So it seems
Tail 04
Tank 04
Sides 02
Upper front 02..

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I messaged that guy. There site was down so messaged on FB. Have not heard back.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nice stuff jondog!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish i could find the 2003 Graphics but that seems to be impossible now :(

·
Registered
510 Posts
I wish i could find the 2003 Graphics but that seems to be impossible now :(
That would be a wise choice. Not only is it the best color scheme, the 03's are the fastest of the RCs :grin2:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That would be a wise choice. Not only is it the best color scheme, the 03's are the fastest of the RCs :grin2:
I really do like it. So update on the bike.
The frame, swing arm, and small parts are off the the powdercoater. I picked a color that we tested on aluminum that is damn near the same as the paint. Plus it will last a whole lot longer.

For graphics i have bought a set for a 2002 for now but had the tail section made in both 2003 silver and 2002 black. I am going to work with the guy in the coming future to get the templets for the 2003 done since i can still get one whole side from Honda and he thinks he can use that to make both sides.

Next up is to get the graphics off of these plastics and get them repaired then off to the paint shoppe. Hopefully by then i will know which color i need to paint the tail...

Next major parts i need to find are a right sp2 radiator and the clutch cover.

Morawaki rad fins are ordered.
New sp2 fairing stay is on the way
new uncut battery tray is on the way
Jardine 2-1 is on the way. (yes i know the advantages and disadvantages)

Still need to do
- remove wheel bearings and get wheels powder coated. Probably a dark goldish bronze.
-Clean engine. (its bad dirty)
-Adjust valves (they are right on the limit of okay but the engine is sitting on the ground so it will never be easier.

other things i need to order
- Swing arm bearings
- Wheel bearings
- Possibly stem bearings?
-Shims
-Swing arm pivot tool
-Power commander
-pair block off plates
-520 chain set
-New tires

Things i want to order
-DHC airbox kit and snorkel
-DHC rcv front fender
-Possible brake upgrades
-DHC radiator scoops
-DHC hugger

If anyone has any of these parts please let me know. Will be interested in buying very soon.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts