RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 2004 for sale with a black frame. Since I thought all 04's were nicky hayden's w/ silver frame, this surprised me. The vin checked out on the frame neck. It's 04.
Does anyone else own or know about black frame '04's?
The whole bike had been wrecked, and repainted all white, including powder coating rims and brake calipers-yuk. So no evidence of what the original paint was. I didn't bother looking that close, cause it was re-wrecked pretty bad and dude was asking $3000 w/salvage title.

But the black frame thing is bugging me....

·
Registered
26 Posts
He may have stripped it and powder coated it before the wreck.

$3K for a twice-wrecked bike?!!! That guy is out of his tree, unless he has some trick parts that are salvageable.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used, abused and put away wet.
It had PC and 2 into 1 with a Sato Ti muffler.
The guy was real condesending when I pointed out the black frame, and I just got bad vibe from him. But since I was there, I just smiled, and politely asked him if I could remove the fairings to get a real look at it.
He obliged me, and I spent the next 10 or 15 minutes inspecting this bike, just snooping and learning... He talked to a buddy on the phone in russian the whole time.
All in all, it was a real bucket. Way to much to fix for a salvage title bike, unless you went track only.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
It could have been painted or powdercoated. Does it have the vin sticker on the right side? If not, there is a good chance they did one of those. I wouldn't buy it, you never know if there is a dent in the frame that has bondo in it. Does it look like the same black color as the stock honda frames?

Another possibility is that the first wreck caused damage to the frame and they bought a new one from honda. Apperently if you buy a new one from a dealer, they require you cut the neck off your old one and then you will get a new frame with the old vin on it. The goofy part is that they will supposedly ask you if you want a black or silver one. This is just second hand info, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting b.miller123! Didn't know that.
Yeah, I spotted the missing vin sticker, and pointed that out. Then I mentioned about the black frame and he copped an attitude. That's when it turned from a potential sale, to no sale.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Very interesting b.miller123! Didn't know that.
Yeah, I spotted the missing vin sticker, and pointed that out. Then I mentioned about the black frame and he copped an attitude. That's when it turned from a potential sale, to no sale.
Поцелуй меня в зад Матере Fucker! is what I would have told Mr Attitude....

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Yes you can.....use it as needed, served cold with a cup of ki$$ my a$$:D

You lookin' to add to your collection?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...smothered in shweddyballs sauce!

No, I was looking for a friend who bought a stupid purple harley that he's now thoroughly bored with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts