RC51 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 3 day old RC 51 is sitting with a pool of oil on the rim, The guy that brought it here had it tied down very hard and I think caused the seals to pop...I have never replaced these things...How hard first off, what type of oil and amount, What is a normal cost to have a shop do it...and I am bummed!:mad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well to go through all the effort of taking the forks off at that point I think I'd give it a shot but my skills at that level...Hmmm I am thing 200 or so at a Shop?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Unless you have the tools, it would be cheaper to just take the forks to a shop and have them replace the seals.
Also check the dust covers as well and replace them if the are worn or damaged while they forks are apart.
Usually, cartridge forks for the street use a 5 wt (or 16 centistoke or cSt) fork oil.
For track use, anywhere from 5, 7.5, or up to 10 wt oil.
I would guess-timate around $150-200 for the pair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks it looks like that is whats going to happen...by the way what a bitch to change plugs!!! Doing that and oil and filter right now

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think she was beat up a bit....Finding some body repairs rouned Allens etc...worked all day on her and didn't get very far

·
Registered
14 Posts
i got mine done in oceanside at oceanside cycle supply about 10months ago it cost $150
and i havent had any problems since. there is also a place on the 76 in oceanside called trackaholics and it by far is the best shop i have been to. but it shouldnt take a shop more than a day to do and if they try to charge more than 200 id look somewhere else.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i got mine done in oceanside at oceanside cycle supply about 10months ago it cost $150
and i havent had any problems since. there is also a place on the 76 in oceanside called trackaholics and it by far is the best shop i have been to. but it shouldnt take a shop more than a day to do and if they try to charge more than 200 id look somewhere else.

Im iin san Diego and was wondering what shopd would be the most RC friendly. Ill do most remove and replace stuff myself but its always good to know that there is a good shop to fall back on.. I was going to just take it to Lee's but I dontmind the ride up to Oceanside if the shop is worth it.. Your thoughts?

·
Old & Slow Admin
271 Posts
Im iin san Diego and was wondering what shopd would be the most RC friendly. Ill do most remove and replace stuff myself but its always good to know that there is a good shop to fall back on.. I was going to just take it to Lee's but I dontmind the ride up to Oceanside if the shop is worth it.. Your thoughts?

Send the forks to Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing....it will be the best money you can spend on your forks. Dan is the RC man!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
ohh there is nothing wrong with my forks.. I was just asking about the shops mentioned in North County.. My forks are the bees kneess all valved and sprung and whatnot..
SP2's on my SP1 with ao but 3K on them..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts