RC51 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i picked up a crashed rc from a member of this forum.

i am really wanting to turn it into a naked/street fighter type bike.

i have a few questions as i am new to this bike but definitely not my first bike.

i am wondering if it is possible to run the bike without the "map sensor"
mounted on the intake tube right at the front of the bike? i have noticed there is yet another map sensor under the airbox in between the throttle bodies. i think the map sensor in the front of the bike on the intake is just to take a initial barometric pressure reading upon startup isn't it? if so i can just leave it plugged in and tuck it away somewhere.

also i am hoping it is possible to take the right radiator and mount it in the front of the bike and completely remove the left radiator. does anyone know if anyone has accomplished this or if there is a readily available front mount radiator kit?

i have noticed that with the tank and all fairings removed the bike is actually quite small. very thin in the middle as a v-twin bike should be. does anyone know of a replacement gas tank that may be smaller than the stock one maybe to make the bike look less bulky and more slender?

i am planning on putting high bars on like these...
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm

also getting a different headlight, something along the lines of either of these
http://www.xpostreetfighter.com/detail.aspx?ID=67
http://www.streetfightersinc.com/images/UrbanHeadlight.jpg

any help you have would be appreciated.
if you are against the idea of a naked rc51 please keep it to yourself and don't bother posting your negative comments.

i was able to upload a pic of the map sensor in question but was unable to load any pics of the project bike as they were too large and were still too large even in photobucket.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
My opinion is that it's your bike and you can do anything you want to it.

Esthetically, I hate to see bikes reduced to permanent streetfighter state of trim.
It's like putting Ferrari's in a demolition derby.

And yes, the bike needs the baro sensor to run properly.
It will run without it, but it defaults to a setting of 760mm/Hg.
It may run fine at sea level, but if the bike is at altitude, it may run rough.
It will also have an FI light on constantly and log a 10 code in the ECU.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me and the other members of the forum. you are quite the asset to this board.
i have been lurking here and picking up info as i go and most of it seems to be coming from you. you seem to have the answers to most everyones questions.

don't get me wrong when i first saw a RC when they came out i thought they were kind of ugly but over the years scince then i have owned many a bike and have grown into the "naked" look. plus the high bars don't kill my back.
an added bonus is easier wheelies.:D
you may not like streetfighters but give me some time to get it looking right
ill post some pics and you can make a final descision then.

so the front mount radiator, is that something im gonna have to fab up myself?

·
Registered
863 Posts
an added bonus is easier wheelies.:D
Oh No !!!!! We got another one.

Sub is a knowledgeble and very positive guy and along with all that positivity must be negativity and thats where I come in. Me and sub are like yin & yang, good & evil. It looks to me that your trying to get the bike stuntable or squidable. The 51 is not the bike for you. Many a streetfighter have been made from the 51 some ok and some not. Like sub said its your bike do what you want but your gonna catch hell from 90% of other 51 owners when its done.

I don't want to be completely negative. You can front mount the radiator all day long. Just do alittle searching and you'll find all the info you want. Alot of racers do it on their track bikes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh No !!!!! We got another one.

Sub is a knowledgeble and very positive guy and along with all that positivity must be negativity and thats where I come in. Me and sub are like yin & yang, good & evil. It looks to me that your trying to get the bike stuntable or squidable. The 51 is not the bike for you. Many a streetfighter have been made from the 51 some ok and some not. Like sub said its your bike do what you want but your gonna catch hell from 90% of other 51 owners when its done.

I don't want to be completely negative. You can front mount the radiator all day long. Just do alittle searching and you'll find all the info you want. Alot of racers do it on their track bikes.
well just to straighten things up i am not a squid and definitly not a stunter.
i have had plenty of track and street riding experience.
previous bikes include a couple ducati's including a 848 with DP race kit, and a 05 600rr track bike.

just because someone enjoys the occasional power wheelie out of a corner dosen't mean they should be labeled as such.
and trust me ive been lurking the forum, you are positively the yang to sub's yin!;)
easy wheelies are just a slight bonus, the big part is having upright comfort on a bike that can still hold its own.
my back can't take the long rides on a supersport bike anymore.
hence the naked transformation.
i feel like i have to have a twin, aircooled ducati's are only making like 110 HP
with all the mods and cams, and the new streetfighter is ugly and way too much money. i also don't really dig the looks of the previous gen monster s4r/s

i have searched on this forum and also just done a basic yahoo search and havent found anything relating to fount mounting either radiator.
care to point me in the right direction?

i just want to lighten the bike up, make it comfortable and look good.
trust me i'll do it right.
you spoke of a couple streetfightered 51's that were done right, and that is what i intend to do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i have noticed that with the tank and all fairings removed the bike is actually quite small. very thin in the middle as a v-twin bike should be. does anyone know of a replacement gas tank that may be smaller than the stock one maybe to make the bike look less bulky and more slender?
Thorsten Durbahn makes some of the best stuff for these bikes. Look here for the info on his underseat fuel tank and associated parts. It won't be cheap.

http://shop.durbahn.de/shop/en/products/Rebuild_Systems/Durbahn

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thorsten Durbahn makes some of the best stuff for these bikes. Look here for the info on his underseat fuel tank and associated parts. It won't be cheap.

http://shop.durbahn.de/shop/en/products/Rebuild_Systems/Durbahn
i appreciate your help. :)

i just looked at that website and although very appealing if i was to build a track bike it is a little pricey for what im trying to do.
if i converted right its about $4000!!!
thats almost twice what i paid for the bike!

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
my back can't take the long rides on a supersport bike anymore.
hence the naked transformation.
i feel like i have to have a twin...
I have the same problem.
I love my RC, but I can't see myself traveling down the freeway for long distances. The bike is willing, but the back is weak.
So in the belief of "the right tool for the right job", I'm looking at a "standard" type bike as you are.

Seriously, you should consider an Aprilia Tuono.
I have a riding buddy of mine who has an '05 and it's a damn fine bike.
I've ridden it and it has a very stout and reliable motor. Same HP range as the RC51. And sounds mighty fine with an Akrapovic exhaust.

So what Aprilia did was exactly what you intend to do. Turn a v-twin sportbike (RSV Mille) into a naked bike with high bars (Tuono).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the same problem.
I love my RC, but I can't see myself traveling down the freeway for long distances. The bike is willing, but the back is weak.
So in the belief of "the right tool for the right job", I'm looking at a "standard" type bike as you are.

Seriously, you should consider an Aprilia Tuono.
I have a riding buddy of mine who has an '05 and it's a damn fine bike.
I've ridden it and it has a very stout and reliable motor. Same HP range as the RC51. And sounds mighty fine with an Akrapovic exhaust.

So what Aprilia did was exactly what you intend to do. Turn a v-twin sportbike (RSV Mille) into a naked bike with high bars (Tuono).
i will look into it. im just betting i can get it done cheaper this way and still have a great bike.
tuono have adjustable suspension thats worth a damn?

·
Registered
863 Posts
previous bikes include a couple ducati's including a 848 with DP race kit, and a 05 600rr track bike.

just because someone enjoys the occasional power wheelie out of a corner dosen't mean they should be labeled as such.
and trust me ive been lurking the forum, you are positively the yang to sub's yin!;)
easy wheelies are just a slight bonus, the big part is having upright comfort on a bike that can still hold its own.
Personally I'm not interested in your resume. And you weren't talking about power wheelies out of a corner. If you were I would have labeled you as a racer instead of a squid. And thanks for the comment I might change my screen name to yang. Again I want to help so go here and look around. http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-general-discussion/51536-my-streetfighter-conversion.html Most people are just relocating their rads to make them front mount.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
i will look into it. im just betting i can get it done cheaper this way and still have a great bike.
tuono have adjustable suspension thats worth a damn?
The Tuono Factory comes with Ohlins front and rear.
The regular Tuono comes with Showa forks and Sachs rear shock.

Ditch the Sachs and replace it with an Ohlins unit, then revalve the Showa forks and you'll have a nice handling bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Tuono Factory comes with Ohlins front and rear.
The regular Tuono comes with Showa forks and Sachs rear shock.

Ditch the Sachs and replace it with an Ohlins unit, then revalve the Showa forks and you'll have a nice handling bike.
i looked at the tuono's and boy is that front fairing ugly!
rest of the bike is not too bad though.
i have never been into aprilia.

·
Registered
32 Posts
trbo, You have to understand that the RC has somewhat of a cult following and most cults don't like strays. No worries though right. You're not the only one working on something like this.

I recently picked up a pretty binned RC51 too. I tossed around the idea of keeping it stock or doing something different with it. I made up my mind and am converting it to streetfighter. Main reason is that I have my 08 CBR1000RR with her clothes on and don't feel the need to spend close to $1000 (give or take) for fairing plus all the other costs of fixing things. No matter what anyone says, it's your bike and you do what you want with it. Underneath she's still an RC regardless of her nakedness, which some people find to be SO HOT!! :cool:

It's taken me some research and a lot of advice from a master streetfighter builder, but an RCfighter is totally doable. So do it up. Just make sure you ride her like an RC should be ridden. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.