RC51 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a service repair manual on the way but was just wandering if anyone has had or heard of the brake lights going out. I lost the right tail light about a month ago and the left side went out but came back on shortly after that. Doing research on it now just seeking some pre-advice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
you still have the stock tail? did u check the figment for the brake lights? sometimes one figment goes before the other so running lights would work but brake wont... happened on my car once

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's still the stock tail, trying to scrap some money up for a hotbodies undertail. The figments in the bulbs looked good, everything worked fine while the weather was warm but once it got cold it slowly stopped (brake lights) working.

·
Registered
66 Posts
All brake lights or just when you hit the rear? My rear was out and all I needed to do was tighten this small plastic fitting that's right by the pedal and it has wires coming through it up to the lights. Next to the brake line.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get no brake light when the front lever or rear pedal are engaged. I'll try adjusting that plastic fitting to see if i can get the rear to work. I guess this will be a crazy electrical adventure for me.......what fun!

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
The plastic fitting mentioned is the rear brake light switch.
It it threaded with an adjuster nut.
Vibration can cause it to loosen over time and then switch post doesn't extend far enough to switch on.
Just tweak the nut a bit until it comes on when it should.

For the front switch, check it's operation with a continuity tester. The switch could be bad.
Check the connectors to the brake light bulbs as they may have oxidation or corrosion on the contacts. Several of mine showed such corrosion.
After removing the corrosion, I used dielectric grease on all my connections.
It's great stuff for that purpose. Put a dab on any electrical contact.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The plastic fitting mentioned is the rear brake light switch.
It it threaded with an adjuster nut.
Vibration can cause it to loosen over time and then switch post doesn't extend far enough to switch on.
Just tweak the nut a bit until it comes on when it should.
That's what I'm talking bout!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had to replace the front switch on mine. If neither are working, I'd be looking at the bulbs or the fitting.
The switches are the easiest part to check though, so eliminate those from the hunt.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds good guys, thanks for all the help...........I'll get back to you guys once I've tried some things to let you know how it goes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts