RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to some unforeseen complications the PFM iron rotors I ordered 3,months ago due to a warped disc have still not shown (happy I had a spare stock set).

So I talked with the vendor and after a lot of apologies he offered me some Braketech iron rotors for the same price, the PFM's were quite a bit less money.

So on the way will be here Friday so the tracking says...

I'll keep you posted.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be sure and use a set of pads that are easy on ductile iron rotors, such as Carbonne Lorraine C59.
Ya thanks sub, I've been in contact with Jeff at Braketech and let him know I'm running Beringer calipers and that there really isn't that much of a selection for pads...but he said that the street pad material for them will be all good.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So an update...I got rudely awakened by the dog yapping :mad:, at the door bell. (I work nights full time, some what of a vampire:eek:)

But was happy to see the FedEx guy...

Sorry about the crappy cell pics but I was too tired to look for the camera...

Ya I'm a little stoked too bad it's going to be a long winter, going to pull the wheels off this weekend after I check the valves on my buddies 600rr.

Gotta spoon on the new Q2's while I'm at it.

They are sweet rotors, a little overkill but seriously I have spent so much money on trying to go faster back in the day big bore kits, dyno runs and jetting, under cut transmissions, hell I had an '91 Gixxer 1100 on nitrous ummm stupid but in hindsight I don't think I spent a fraction of that cash on stopping back then.

I figure with the new impound laws here I'm not going to chase power and speed, maybe do the odd track day (been awhile) but I get out in the canyons a lot.

So I'm going to chase suspension, brakes and lighten the pig up not that I really mind a heavy bike, rode and owned a lot of heavy bikes in the 80's and early 90's.

These should compliment very well with the Brembo master, steel lines and the Beringers. It's a love have relationship with winter and Paypal...

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
These should compliment very well with the Brembo master, steel lines and the Beringers. It's a love have relationship with winter and Paypal...
Those are gonna be a nice setup nobody, major eye candy :eek:. I look forward to seeing the end result......In person:D.
Paypal and the winter months go hand in hand;)

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look forward for a ride too...Tofino? Sunshine Coast? I have a good buddy who owns a tattoo shop up in Powell River Inkfected Tattoos and Piercings.

Could be a good ride hell maybe he could finish my sleeve...

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Remember, these wheels when new are coated with Gun-Kote preservative.
Go to Brake Techs's site and download/read the instructions for prepping the rotors for first time use.

BTW The surface rust in the photo above is to be expected.
I live in a humid area and they are iron after all.
Will scrub off immediately on next use of the brakes.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Funny enough, I have PFM cast iron rotors (bought 17 years ago :D) on my VFR, but I chose Brake Tech rotors for my SP2 after warping the discs.
As I didn't like the rust on the VFR's discs (It runs 6 piston calipers) I opted for S/S ones with the Brake Tech.
You made a good choice. The design of the Brake Tech rotors should be warp proof...
It's a good design. Only thing that is slightly annoying is they rattle as the bikes moves at slow speeds (When pushing it around, for example). Otherwise they work great.

Cast Iron does give slightly better performance too. The PFM's are slightly warped on the VFR now, but not sure where I'll get replacements. Would be nice if I can fit a floating type like the Brake Tech design. I'll have to look into it, but they'll keep going for now...

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys I am glad in the choice too...got new pads for after clearing the gunkote.
As for the rattle of full floaters, has to better than the sound of a rattling Ducati dry clutch. Ouch

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Like everything else, they're in a box waiting...and waiting....
The bike itself has been in pieces for almost three years now.

Between work being more intrusive on personal time, and the weather, it's been challenge to get anything done.

My shop area isn't under air, and during the summer, it's just too damn hot and humid to do much work. And we didn't have a winter to speak of last year.
My AC has been running since February (85+ deg F).

The upside is that I've managed to accumulate some nice bits to install. :)
So, since the weather is finally starting to get reasonable, I've decided to get started on installing the toys and getting it back on the road.
Got a huge to-do list to sort through.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Subsailor, sounds like you either need to fit A/C to the workshop, or move the workshop inside the house :D

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Funny enough, I have PFM cast iron rotors (bought 17 years ago :D) on my VFR, but I chose Brake Tech rotors for my SP2 after warping the discs.
As I didn't like the rust on the VFR's discs (It runs 6 piston calipers) I opted for S/S ones with the Brake Tech.
You made a good choice. The design of the Brake Tech rotors should be warp proof...
It's a good design. Only thing that is slightly annoying is they rattle as the bikes moves at slow speeds (When pushing it around, for example). Otherwise they work great.

Cast Iron does give slightly better performance too. The PFM's are slightly warped on the VFR now, but not sure where I'll get replacements. Would be nice if I can fit a floating type like the Brake Tech design. I'll have to look into it, but they'll keep going for now...
Will these work? I figure most of the VFR parts are interchangeable.

1994-97 VFR750
298mm x 5mm AXIS/Iron Full-Floater w/ Hard Anodized Carriers,
RH ea. BTH-29.R $349.95
LH ea. BTH-29.L $349.95

1994-97 VFR750 298mm x 5mm AXIS/Cobra SS Full-Floater w/ Hard Anodized Carriers,
RH ea. BTH-29.SR $329.95
LH ea. BTH-29.SL $329.95

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
The earlier single sided swingarm VFR's had one piece discs. I haven't really looked into whether or not they're the same wheels or not for 1994-1997 models. Perhaps they are.

It's a little more difficult to fathom spending money on expensive bits on a bike with 65,000 miles of quite low worth, but then I never intend to part with it so I'll probably bite the bullet and get some proper new front discs soon. Although I don't feel it in riding, I can hear one of the (6) individual pads rattle inside the caliper at slow speeds because of a slightly warped disc and that's irritating. It's not the calipers or pads.
Can't imagine it'll do a lot of good in the long term, but I'll need to look into it more first I guess, put on a gauge and see how warped it is. It's only recently started happening.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Look forward for a ride too...Tofino? Sunshine Coast? I have a good buddy who owns a tattoo shop up in Powell River Inkfected Tattoos and Piercings.

Could be a good ride hell maybe he could finish my sleeve...
That is gonna happen for sure bud, The Wife and I went up to Tofino about 6 weeks back with our 2 son's ( 4 and 9 months ) I love it up there.
I would be into that for sure.
Lake Cow is a real nice ride too, hwy 18 ??? Not sure if you know it, but they resurfaced it with some real bad gravel mix concrete few years back. ICBC never had so many windshield claims:rolleyes:
Since they fixed it up it is much better
Old lake Cow road is REAL good for some spirited riding as well.:D
We will have to plan it out when it gets a bit closer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts