RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow!

Turns like an R6. Stops like dropping a boat anchor. Accelerates harder.

One finger brake from ludicrous speed, stick her into the turn, twist and go.

Awesome.

If you want a new RC51, install these BST carbon fiber wheels.

Wow!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Wow!

Awesome.

Wow!
Nothing like lighter wheels to improve handling. :)
There's a fellow rider in my area that has an SP1 with BSTs.
They're a little pricey for my pocket book, but they are insanely light.
Much lighter than magnesium, which feel like nothing themselves.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oooooohhhh yyeeeeaaaahhh

I'm Jealous!! great lookin ride :cool: :cool: Hoovy

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow!

Empties your wallet in one swift move.

Maxes out your credit cards in one swipe.

Awesome.

Wow!
Fixed. :D
That is some serious awesomeness you've got going on there, though.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
SaWeeeet! I'm googling all over the internet to learn about sprung and unsprung wieght. I'm discovering just how valuable shedding weight from unsprung parts, like those bitch'n carbon rims, is.
Nicely done 10/10ths. That's just gotta paste a perma-grin on your face!

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
It's not merely about sprung or unsprung weight.
It mostly about rotating mass at the wheel rim. That's where the handling improvement comes.

A wheel with less mass at the rim and will spin up or down quicker (less flywheel inertia).
Plus it will change direction easier (less gyroscopic inertia).

Now all he needs to do is spend another $2300 on Braketech ceramic-matrix-composite (CMC) rotors and pads, and lose 60% of his brake rotor weight (CMC rotors only weight 1 lb each).

http://www.braketech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=95

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
SaWeeeet! I'm googling all over the internet to learn about sprung and unsprung wieght. I'm discovering just how valuable shedding weight from unsprung parts, like those bitch'n carbon rims, is.
Nicely done 10/10ths. That's just gotta paste a perma-grin on your face!
While losing unsprung weight will help, it has a greater effect on how the suspension can react to changes in the road surface. Less weight you are throwing up and down, the better the suspension can work, and the better your traction will be.

Where lightweight wheels really help is in reduction of the gyroscopic effect they generate, which allows easier turning and transitions while in chicaines. The reduction in weight also allows for a reduction in the amount of torque required for a given amount of acceleration, both positive (throttle) and negative (braking).

Yet another thing to consider is where the mass is actually placed on the wheels. A heaver wheel can actually require less torque (because it posseses less inertia) if all the mass is closer to the axis of rotation. The further out the mass, the greater the effect, and it is not a linear relation:

Torque = (mass) x (radius) x (radius) x (angular acceleration)

So for the same mass moved from 1 inch away from the axis of rotation to say 3 inches away. The required torque is nine times greater for the same mass and acceleration.

Sorry I am a bit of a nerd. A nerd that is four months away from a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering. :D

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Shoot, didn't see subsailor's post. Guess that is what happens when you don't click refresh before you post!

Very nice 10/10ths. I've been very happy with my oz wheels too. I was close to buying a used set of BST's, but the guy sold the bike with them a day before I saw the for sale ad. Then I bought my OZ's right before your wheels came up on eBay, damn the luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Is there any problems with getting them too light compared to the overall weight of the bike? Stability?
No problem at all. The lighter the better.
BST makes two types of C-F wheels, the ones for street use and ones for race use.

Street Front (3.5x17): 2.1 - 2.7 Kg, 4.6 - 5.95 Lb.
Race Front (3.5x17): 1.9 - 2.1 Kg, 4.1 - 4.6 Lb.

Street Rear (6x17): 3.8 - 4.9 Kg, 8.3 - 10.8 Lb.
Race Rear (6x16.5): 3.86 Kg, 8.5 Lb.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Shoot, didn't see subsailor's post. Guess that is what happens when you don't click refresh before you post!
To better illustrate what was said:
http://www.blackstonetek.com/inertia.html

Now if wanted to pursue the weight reduction and improved handling to its limit, you would swap your steel brake rotors for CMC rotors.

Then install Michelin Pilot Pure tires as they are the lightest street tire on the market.

Then you'd have the lightest wheel/tire combo a bunch of money could buy.
The only thing lighter would be BST C-F race wheels (not for street use) and race tires, which are lighter due to less rubber (for heat dissipation).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just hide a bunch of helium balloons under all my fairings and fill my tires full of helium. Shaves tons of weight and only costs a few bucks. Pain in the a$$ getting my bike into the store, though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have loved those wheels since Adam was a boy .Mate has them on his Beemer. Did you have to redial your suspension ? Considering the rims are lighter ,did it cause more chatter etc. I'm talking more RW condidtions .And how much weight did it peel off ?
Serious in getting a pair in the next year or two

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Subsailor...

...RE: Axis Brake Tech carbon ceramic rotors....

I TRIED to buy these and they are out of production. I called all around the free world searching for a set. None exist.

I ended up buying the Brembo rotors as they were the next best option.

So, I'm stocking up on HRC pads. I bought the last two sets of the "soft bites" left in the world and just bought a set of "hard bites" with only 100 street miles on them.

Soooo, now I'm kinda locked into the Brembo rotors for awhile.

Brake Tech tells me the ceramic rotors should be back in production next year. I couldn't wait.

Cheers.

Oh, no increase in instability at all. Bike is as rock solid as it was with the OEM wheels, she just turns WAY faster and WAY easier.

The other big change, is that the ride QUALITY is better. She rides softer, but she is more precise. It is a win-win mod. I'm happy as hell.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
...RE: Axis Brake Tech carbon ceramic rotors....

I TRIED to buy these and they are out of production. I called all around the free world searching for a set. None exist.

Brake Tech tells me the ceramic rotors should be back in production next year. I couldn't wait.
In some ways it doesn't surprise me.
At a $1000 per rotor and $120/set of pads (you HAVE to use the CMC pads, no substitutes) I wouldn't imagine them leaping off the shelves.

The beauty of them is they are all weather and work cold or hot (as opposed to RCC which are only for dry weather and only work when at operating temp).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts