RC51 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I found the bike that I really want to get. It's an 01RC. Its in very good condition, and has about 10,000 miles. The problem is, I went to look at it last saturday and when I got there the owner couldn't get it started. It had been stored all winter with little to no gas. He had it started the day before with no problems. When he added a fresh gallon of gas the day I came to see it is when it started having issues. He took the plugs out and cleaned them. After putting them back in, we got it started with not too much trouble and it seemed to run fine. We couldn't ride it though because it was raining. He told me he would put new plugs in it and make sure it ran great before I bought it. The next day he let me know, that after putting new plugs in it did the same thing. He is going to take it to the shop today to see what is wrong with it. I did some research, and to me it sounds like the fuel pressure regulator, but we'll see.

What are some other things that I should be concerned with? The owner has been very honest, and I don't feel like he is hiding anything and wants to have the bike running good before he sells it to me. I just want to make sure everything is good before I give him the check.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ideally you should take it to a dealer or mechanic that is familiar with RC51s while it was running and have them check it out so you know what you are buying. If it's not running, you can't really do that. If you really want it and are reasonably confident that it is in good shape, offer him less and hope for the best. Otherwise, he's going to spend money just to sell it, which will reduce how much he makes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've actually moved on from that bike. I had the loan check in hand already, but after a week of it being in the shop with no answers I just lost interest. I was looking for another bike the whole time just in case, but nothing was coming up for sale in the area in my price range. Finally yesterday one popped up on craigslist, and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. It's two years newer, so I went from an SP1 to an SP2, and after talking to several people with RC's I think it was a good move. I'm hoping everything works out tomorrow, when I go check the bike out. It has a few more miles than the other one, but I just feel more comfortable with the transaction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts