RC51 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
So jealous of you guys! Took a small break from nursery remodel and made some forward progress on the bike. New master cylinder, brake lines, clip-ons, quick turn throttle, grips, and brake lever guard. Unfortunately you can't see what those clip-one are attaching to :sneaky:

View attachment 138712
How do you like the feel of your brakes now and positioning with the clipons… I need more pictures 😎

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't yet comment on the brakes as I'm still working on the solution to mount the reservoir :confused:. The Bremo reservoir and mount kit bracket wont work, so thinking of the Kyle solution, or making my own. Also, there will be too many changes all at once to tell which one made the most difference (MC, brake lines, iron rotors, new pads).

The biggest difference is the adjustability with the clipons. With the stockers I felt like I was compromising between not hitting the instrument cluster, where the "bend" in the brake lever ended up, and not hitting the fork tube with the banjo bolt. With the stock clipons, I couldn't use the trick titanium safety wire drilled banjo because it was contacting the fork tube.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Automotive exterior

The aftermarket clipons allow you to get things just right. They even make it easier to access the screws and bolts because the bar itself can be turned / moved in and out. I've got plenty of room for the cool banjo now!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Motorcycle

I did have to cut a plastic piece off of the starter switch to allow the MC to be closer to the grip for positioning.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive design Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Auto part

Since I wasn't initially happy with the compromised lever positioning, it led to the aftermarket clipons....and since I had to pull the forks to replace the clipons, I thought I may as well have some fork work done as well 😂
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I can't yet comment on the brakes as I'm still working on the solution to mount the reservoir :confused:. The Bremo reservoir and mount kit bracket wont work, so thinking of the Kyle solution, or making my own. Also, there will be too many changes all at once to tell which one made the most difference (MC, brake lines, iron rotors, new pads).

The biggest difference is the adjustability with the clipons. With the stockers I felt like I was compromising between not hitting the instrument cluster, where the "bend" in the brake lever ended up, and not hitting the fork tube with the banjo bolt. With the stock clipons, I couldn't use the trick titanium safety wire drilled banjo because it was contacting the fork tube.
View attachment 138713

The aftermarket clipons allow you to get things just right. They even make it easier to access the screws and bolts because the bar itself can be turned / moved in and out. I've got plenty of room for the cool banjo now!

View attachment 138714

I did have to cut a plastic piece off of the starter switch to allow the MC to be closer to the grip for positioning.
View attachment 138717 View attachment 138718

Since I wasn't initially happy with the compromised lever positioning, it led to the aftermarket clipons....and since I had to pull the forks to replace the clipons, I thought I may as well have some fork work done as well 😂
View attachment 138715
Not sure how much space you have on the bar by the Mc to mount that res but I think woodcraft makes a universal mount bracket that clamps on to the bar and keep the reservoir away from the cowl a bit if clearance is the issue ? Figured I would mention it . Might work might not. Looks great though!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Hey Guys, if you’re a NorCal rider, there is a private open track day on 9/6 that is gonna be rad. It’s at TH, open track 9-5, only 55 riders….so basically no one. It’s $300 for the day, full kit that you’d expect at a normal carters track day etc. Dave Moss is usually there with a suspension tuning set up, tire dude, bike rentals, equipment entails etc.
this is my second one with this group and have to say, I don’t think I’ll ever do a normal track day again. You can camp out the night before, get drunk, sleep till noon, wake up and ride more than you do on other days. No lap limits, no group rules. Basically, just go ride until you’re tired or need gas.
If you are interested let me know and I’ll send out the link to sign up. It’s first come, so if you are interested don’t sleep on it. I’ll be there with my RC and my 01’ Buell x1.
-Scott

·
Registered
222 Posts

View attachment 138713

View attachment 138714

View attachment 138717 View attachment 138718

View attachment 138715
Hey Guys, if you’re a NorCal rider, there is a private open track day on 9/6 that is gonna be rad. It’s at TH, open track 9-5, only 55 riders….so basically no one. It’s $300 for the day, full kit that you’d expect at a normal carters track day etc. Dave Moss is usually there with a suspension tuning set up, tire dude, bike rentals, equipment entails etc.
this is my second one with this group and have to say, I don’t think I’ll ever do a normal track day again. You can camp out the night before, get drunk, sleep till noon, wake up and ride more than you do on other days. No lap limits, no group rules. Basically, just go ride until you’re tired or need gas.
If you are interested let me know and I’ll send out the link to sign up. It’s first come, so if you are interested don’t sleep on it. I’ll be there with my RC and my 01’ Buell x1.
-Scott
thanks for the heads up
I’m in 👊

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
-Scott
That sounds awesome I'm in !

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Alright fellas we're ready to rock and roll tomorrow all loaded and ready for thill east . The goal is to stay out for a few more sessions and push the bike a little harder and hopefully bring the lap times down . Now that I feel comfortable with the 660 the goal is later braking more entry speed and smooth drive our of the corners. Feel like that might be too ambitious for one day but that's the focus for this week's track fun . Should feel alot more confident running the pirelli slicks. We will see how it goes.
Sky Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
If you’re interested in that 9/6 THill open track day, here is the sign up link. If you have any specific questions hit me up, I’ll answer anything I can.

Cheers
Scott

Reactions: GONZORR

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you’re interested in that 9/6 THill open track day, here is the sign up link. If you have any specific questions hit me up, I’ll answer anything I can.

Cheers
Scott
Thanks Scott

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Well yesterday was an excellent day at thill got to ride all day with @Fortysix&2 great guy tons of fun. Got some excellent tips from davemoss. Brought the lap times down a bit not as much as I'd like but I was definitely doing alot of passing in the intermediate group. Those pirelli slick sc2 tires were really good except for a small issue losing the front the second lap of the first session luckily the tc saved my ass. Really getting the hang of a 600 on track and it is a blast I will honestly say it's been more fun than the liter bikes so far .
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well yesterday was an excellent day at thill got to ride all day with @Fortysix&2 great guy tons of fun. Got some excellent tips from davemoss. Brought the lap times down a bit not as much as I'd like but I was definitely doing alot of passing in the intermediate group. Those pirelli slick sc2 tires were really good except for a small issue losing the front the second lap of the first session luckily the tc saved my ass. Really getting the hang of a 600 on track and it is a blast I will honestly say it's been more fun than the liter bikes so far . View attachment 138746
Great to pit next to you and riding too. I felt happy with my pace and had fun. See you at the next one @GONZORR

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
And the decision has been made for me ..... apparently I have an anniversary to celebrate the weekend before instead of the weekend after like I had thought. So there will be no fun track riding for me this weekend 😞. And I now have to go scramble and find a present .... yay ....

101 - 120 of 148 Posts