RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, in the middle of rebuilding my front calipers on my 02 and have a quick question. I currently have the calipers torn apart and decided to try putting a piston back in with the old seals just to see how to do it without destroying the seals. I looked in the service manual to see if they gave any pointers and all it says is to be sure to coat the seals and piston with new brake fluid. So after doing so I tried to put the piston in and it did not want to go straight in and eventually tore the old seal. I'm curious is there a trick to putting the piston in without destroying the seal? Are the old seals perhaps dried out so they're not as flexible and tear easily? Basically I'd really like to know if I'm doing something wrong before I put the new seals in and eventually destroy them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Can't say if what your doing is right or wrong. But old seals will tear more easily when putting pistons back in. Been there.

I have no big insight to inserting the pistons. It takes a bit of work to seat flat, but once done it slides in.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'm just going to hope that the old seals are causing the problem and hope the new ones let the piston slide in much easier.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Did you clean out the grooves where the seal sits ?
That is the bit that causes the trouble, i use red rubber grease to reassemble and always reuse the old seals!
Never had a caliper seal leak on me yet, in fact in 20 years of testing vehicles (well over 50000) i have only ever seen a couple of leaking calipers

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you clean out the grooves where the seal sits ?
That is the bit that causes the trouble, i use red rubber grease to reassemble and always reuse the old seals!
Never had a caliper seal leak on me yet, in fact in 20 years of testing vehicles (well over 50000) i have only ever seen a couple of leaking calipers
I did clean the grooves but did not use red rubber grease to reassemble. I be sure to give that a try when I reassemble. Thanks for the info Dan!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well new pistons arrived (three of four anyways) and the pistons that I have went in with no problem. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Just remember the SP1 and SP2 calipers and master cylinders use different sized piston diameters and seals.
Be sure and replace components for your specific caliper, or master cylinder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts