RC51 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am Robbie, and I am new to this site. I have 2004 RC51 Nicky special edition. I have a problem with my pips.

my right pip heat way more than my left pipe and I feel that it have more power than the left one as well. when I give gas, i hear more sound from the right one, and when i feel, the air from the right is much warmer than the left. I mean they both work but the right one sounds different.

can anyone please tell me what the problem might be so that my RC is not having his full power. is it sparkplugs??? or something else?

Thank you

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it were me, I would start by checking the compression on both cylinders. Take a look at the color of the plugs while you have them out.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Does your engine run ok?
If your engine runs fine, then it's normal for the right pipe to run a but warmer than the left.
The right pipe (or front cylinder) has a straighter shot than the left pipe (or rear cylinder) that has a bunch of twists and turns before joining at the collector and then the muffler.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check the compression on the cylinders and the plugs. Yes, the engine runs fine and normal but when I turn the bike on, the right one would be hot and the left still cold!! I mean something is going on, it doesn't sound normal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I will check the compression on the cylinders and the plugs. Yes, the engine runs fine and normal but when I turn the bike on, the right one would be hot and the left still cold!! I mean something is going on, it doesn't sound normal.
All RC's are the same as yours because of the routing of the exhaust off of the rear cylinder. I just wrote this long drawn out explaination, but figured I would try to simplify it.
Because of the turns in the rear cylinder exhaust pipping, and the angle the exhaust has to take to exit the left side (after meeting and spliting off from the right), some of the rear cylinder pressure will be pushed out of the right side also. The right side has a little more velocity than the left side because of the straighter flow. It will force some of the exhaust gasses along with it out the right side pipe. Thus causing a little bit more flow, and heat in the right pipe, which runs from the front cylinder. The front cylinder has a straighter flow. All of this is taken into consideration when being tuned. Take a look at your exhaust pipping, and you should understand what my post, and Subsailor's post are explaining.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, that does make sence! But the right one is very hot while the left one is still cold!!!!!! Its not just little different. I mean u guys have a nice point and nice explanation. Good to know that there is nothing wrong with my bike but its weird lol.

Thanks for everything guys

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what u mean!?? I took the bike to a honda dealer! they said its not normal like the people said! :mad:
they found out that the sparkplug is bad and the wire that connected to the muffler is bad, and other small things. so they will fix it and it would be powerfull again. they said any bike and every bike with V twins or double mufflers have to be the same heat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes! :D
but I have to wait till next week to drop it off so they take a look at it and fix it. :( good thing I have warranty LOL

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
That explains it then........
Not really. What wire to the muffler were they referring to?
Would it be the wire to the lambda sensor?
If so they're wrong. The RC51 has no lambda sensor like newer bikes.

Now one of the initial questions about the muffler temp was if the bike actually is running fine, which it is via the owner.
Now if a plug wasn't firing, I can understand why one muffler would be hot while the other is cold.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I was kidding..... Of course that does not explain it. Guess i should have put a smiley next it. I think the OP meant the dealer was saying the spark plug and coil wire were bad but I am just guessing...
Yeah I caught the jist of the statement. :D
I was just adding a bit more content for those who might not know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL you guys! mostly it was the plugs are bad! and I dont know the other things. I dont care whatever they change because i am not the one who is paying for it lol, but believe me, I noticed that the bike is not giving her full power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts