RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
??? No idea....
Some sort of aftermarket add on ??? Never seen that before.

Sub ???? chime in please.....

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Not a S.H my friend.
Madbuyer had it pegged with this stupid gag, it is a IAT bypass that sends a " cold air " reading to fool the ecu into think you have ice cold air coming in for more HP.

Here is what my S.H looks like....

And, why would a Speedo healer be on the IAT sensor my friend ???..... erhhmm... More coffee for you this morning ??? Or reading glasses now needed ??? LOL !!!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would make sense, it has been running really rich, I thought the FPR had died on me. I'll hook the IAT back up and change the plugs on my next day off. Then I'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
That would make sense, it has been running really rich, I thought the FPR had died on me. I'll hook the IAT back up and change the plugs on my next day off. Then I'll see what happens.
Tell us what happens when you get her back on the road. I am curious as to why someone would do that?? Especially in NC where it gets hotter than ballz!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Spark plug manufacturers give those away when business is slow ...

But seriously, that is a primitive attempt to fatten the fuel curve but is counterproductive if you have a PCIII.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
??? No idea....
Some sort of aftermarket add on ??? Never seen that before.

Sub ???? chime in please.....
Madbuyer had it pegged with this stupid gag, it is a IAT bypass that sends a " cold air " reading to fool the ecu into think you have ice cold air coming in for more HP.

Here is what my S.H looks like....

I bet you're right.
Couldn't you accomplish the exact same thing by just unplugging the IAT?
You'd get a code, and your FI light will show you every time you ride, but the ECU will default to an assumed air intake temp of 68F. So you'd be running fretty fat in warmer temps, like 90 or 100F degrees. In stock form.

But....
Maybe it's a way to cheat in place of a PC - if you had a full exhaust system, or even some good AM slip-ons ??

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Whatever it is, I would toss it in the trash and put things back the way they should be. Most likely it is what was mentioned above. One of those gimmick "chip" you see on ebay for $10 that gives you a million horsepower. Usually sold by th same guys who sell electric superchargers, aka fans.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Whatever it is, I would toss it in the trash and put things back the way they should be. Most likely it is what was mentioned above. One of those gimmick "chip" you see on ebay for $10 that gives you a million horsepower. Usually sold by th same guys who sell electric superchargers, aka fans.
Now that is a $/hp ratio I can live with.:D

My favourite is the perpetual motion machines....I've bought a dozen from QVC.:)

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
It probably performs the same function as disconnecting the IAT, but doesn't throw a code.

The problem is, the ECU will default to the base (limp home) value for inlet air temp across the board, so it will screw up the air/fuel ratio across the entire range.
Quite the POS that thing is.

Now if you had gone through a dyno run with this connected, you just threw your money away, since with it disconnected, the power commander will have all it's correction values totally hosed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is an older post but I just picked up another bike to restore over the winter and joined here. A 2001 RC51 to compliment the ZX14 and after stripping the bike down found this and searched a few forums after reading this and assuming being connected to the IAT that it was exactly what many have suggested a gimmick to fool the ECU into thinking it was running cooler and dump excess fuel. We used to do the same thing on our 5.0's by switching to a cooler thermostat before we could afford a good chip that can do all that anyway.
Anyway here is a good pic of one......must be good its German made and has a picture of a TURBO on it so I'm thinking if a good power product sticker is worth 3 HP then this is gotta be worth 10-15 easy.
Actually it ends being simply a 20 ohm resistor across the circuit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts