RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old tire has seen its last ride. No tread left and a bad gash towards the sidewall. I have the bead breaker and tire irons. Bead is done. Tire will not come off. No one is open until Tuesday and I'm supposed to ride tomorrow morning. Any suggestions? I have YouTubed for an hour and none of that is helping.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well, guess you could improvise and try out other toys from the tool chest; how about using an angle grinder/cutting wheel (?). Surely it would be messy but with a few relief cuts into the old rubber carcass it will be pliable enough to remove...YMMV

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
make sure that the entire bead area of both sides of the tire is nestled into the dish of the wheel. people get stuck by not making sure this is the case

·
Registered
56 Posts
As it's FUBAR'd anyway, drill through the carcase adjacent to the beads in several places and cable-tie the beads together.
It makes it easier to ensure that both beads are in the well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had both beads in the well. Tire is not budging. Ive changed probably 50 tires in my life with the same tools. I cant figure it out. Scratched my rim and had enough. I just cut them off with an angle grinder. Came off in 2 minutes. New tires slide right on in less than 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Mark I'm glad you got some new rubber sounds like you were over due..

the question is why didn't you just do a nasty burnout on the old tire until it blew?

(& of course have a buddy video tape your burnout)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never burn out on the RC. Rarely wheelie.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Over the course of changing a lot of my own tires, I use some sandpaper to smooth out the inner wheel bead.
RUGlyde from napa is good stuff too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it comes up on its own "accidentally" lol. Occasionally I lift it up. But I never do burn outs anymore. Not a fan of flat spots on my tire or shelling out for tires every month.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wheelies make me a little nervous now anyway after stuffing my old f4 front tire through the rear window of a van that pulled out in front of me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mark,

did you take the valve stem out btw? I forgot on one i was changing for a friend over the weekend and it gave me hell till i took it out. Even with all the air out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah valve stem removed front and rear. Just didn't feel like coming off I guess. I've never had an issue like that with a tire. 20 minutes max to get it off the rim. Usually around 10. This one took 8 hours of my day away and it still didnt come off till cut it. Good thing I'm powder coating my rims in the fall.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I love when something like that happens.. Must have got something in there from the road or something that glued it in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No idea what it was. Looked normal. Just had no flex at all on the sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Ya know I have a tire machine at the house, but way back in the days before I had access to such things and no money I might add I had a bead stuck to a wheel and after exhausting all other options I laid the wheel down on some plywood on the driveway and had a friend hold it in place as I drove my truck very slowly over the tire (not the wheel) and it broke the bead loose. I'm not saying that method should be employed, but it worked for me...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bead was the easy part. The tire just wouldn't stretch around the rim.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ohh, was it cold out?

I usually like to put them in the Texas sun for an hour. I am sure LDH does not have cold weather issues either.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Was 88 degrees and sunny and it sat out for 2 hours from noon to 2pm. Guess it's one of those unexplainable things. I should've looked at the side wall after I cut it to see if had a tension belt or something in the rubber that shouldn't be there. Could've been a defect or something. Threw it away though so I'll never know. Loving the Metzler tires now though. First time I could actually see what everyone was talking about with this bikes handling. Almost like it wants to just turn itself and you're just along for the ride

1 - 20 of 20 Posts