RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
The claim of the rider being killed was denied by police. After the white bike brake checked him, they forced him to stop in the middle of the road, then they surrounded his car, punched windows and beat on it and kick it, tried to open his doors and slashed a tire.

The driver was defending himself and his family against a mob. He wound up getting dragged out of his car after smashing his window and then they beat the shit out of him while his wife and kid watched. Funny that the video doesn't show that happening huh?

I would have done the same exact thing as the driver in a heartbeat. Except after he was stopped and they came at his window with helmets, they would have either been backed over, or they would have a couple holes in their chests.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
and people call me crazy for keeping a AR15 under my backseat lol

if you have your wife and kids and a biker gang tries this crap.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
and people call me crazy for keeping a AR15 under my backseat lol
if you have your wife and kids and a biker gang tries this crap.
I call you over prepared with an assault rifle:D.....usually one round will do from a reasonably sized hand gun. .45 will do the trick.:cool:

If not to stop the SUV either....

This is why I rarely ride with folks I don't know or trust. Keep it to at the most 5 people and ride safe, this bullshit just asks for trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
hey hey its not an assault rifle! its a HUNTING rifle lol

rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it

moral of the story. play stupid games get stupid prizes

·
Registered
32 Posts
I belong to this group, and have ridden with them a few times. Trust me when I tell you these are nothing but a pack of squids....... They will ride like they own the road, and if any car gets anywhere near them, it's attack time. None of the ones I was near had any idea of what motorcycle edicate is.

If it was my child and wife in danger, the only thing I would have done different, is ran at least 20 of those wannabe bikers over....

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
I belong to this group, and have ridden with them a few times. Trust me when I tell you these are nothing but a pack of squids....... They will ride like they own the road, and if any car gets anywhere near them, it's attack time. None of the ones I was near had any idea of what motorcycle edicate is.

If it was my child and wife in danger, the only thing I would have done different, is ran at least 20 of those wannabe bikers over....
You Sir came come ride with me if you ever get the chance....just stay the hell out of that situation please.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Whatever the driver did in the first place, I doubt it was so bad it warranted that kind of behavior from this gang. As for guns, etc. that would probably escalate the situation even more - would only take a couple more bikers who may be carrying guns to use them, then what? :eek:

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
More details...

Updated at 5:30 p.m. CST - The British press have announced the name of the driver of the Range Rover as Alexian Lien; the passengers were his wife Rosalyn Ng and their five-month old daughter.

The international press is going wild on Monday after a video emerged from an altercation between a group of motorcyclists in New York City and a family of three in a Range Rover. According to sources, the driver of the black SUV 'accidentally collided with one' of the motorcyclists; the driver claims the bikes were riding 'erratically' when the fracas occurred around 1:30 p.m. EST on Sunday on the West Side Highway.

The thirty-something driver had his young daughter and wife in the vehicle and told law enforcement that he 'feared for his life' and that is why he sped through - and over - several motorcycles during the course of the afternoon.

The video was first posted in Australia and initial reports were that a rider was killed; however, as of Monday afternoon, that information has not been confirmed by NYC law enforcement.

After the initial impact of the SUV and one of the motorcycles, the driver sped off and the riders took off after him in an effort to get him to stop. While the video runs for more than six minutes, it does not show how the chase began. At one point during the clip, the riders manage to block the SUV and dozens of motorcyclists are seen sitting on their bikes at a standstill. Suddenly, the Range Rover bounces up into view as the driver took the hasty action of driving up - and over - stationary motorcycles and riders.

At this point in the video, it becomes rather evident that the proverbial gloves are off and now the bikers are less than happy. The joys of midtown Manhattan traffic finally put a stop to the SUV and one enthusiastic rider drops his bike and uses his helmet to break in the driver's side window.

"The events that occurred are unfortunate," said motorcycle lawyer Chuck Koro. "It is always best to contact the police immediately as soon as a traffic collision occurs so a proper and thorough investigation can be conducted."
The driver was taken to a local hospital and treated to lacerations to his body and face. A NYPD spokesman stated there were no other injuries reported.

The video was captured by the helmet cam of a motorcyclist and, the reality, is that whoever taped and posted that chase will ultimately be responsible for having his riding companions cited or incarcerated since law enforcement can now analyze the footage for the license plates of the bikes.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
What would've been wrong with sending a few riders to follow the fleeing SUV driver from a safe distance while some of the other bikers stayed put and called the cops?

The followers could've let police or their buddies know where he is, if needed.

Too logical and mature I guess.

Nope, they had to get all wound up, try to detain the driver themselves, and try to administer justice. Some of them paid the price for that during the event, and it looks like others will pay later in court.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
First off, I would never ride with a group like that...but if I was the camera man, I would have followed the SUV long enough to get at clear shot of the license plate and of the driver and then pulled off and went back to the original seen to turn over the footage to the authorities.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Yeah, but then you would have to explain to the cops why your friends drug the guy out of his car and beat the shit out of him in front of his family. These people don't like cops, and certainly aren't calling them. They all have taped over license plates, or no plates at all. The police knew about this ride because last year it shut down Times Square. This year they had roadblocks set up and confiscated 55 bikes and arrested a bunch of people.

These guys were fucking pathetic cowards that only do this kind of crap in packs. I would have done the same exact thing as the driver. You threaten the safety of my family, and you immediately become the most worthless thing on the planet to me.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Yeah, but then you would have to explain to the cops why your friends drug the guy out of his car and beat the shit out of him in front of his family. These people don't like cops, and certainly aren't calling them. They all have taped over license plates, or no plates at all. The police knew about this ride because last year it shut down Times Square. This year they had roadblocks set up and confiscated 55 bikes and arrested a bunch of people.

These guys were fucking pathetic cowards that only do this kind of crap in packs. I would have done the same exact thing as the driver. You threaten the safety of my family, and you immediately become the most worthless thing on the planet to me.
If I wasn't there I'd have no names to drop, no one to rat out and no association with what happened after leaving the group that followed and did that. Legally, I would be free and clear.

As the SUV driver I would have done the same, but stayed on roads that I knew that would be clear. Without a firearm or some way to protect my family, my cage (also a full size SUV) would be the only way to protect them and myself. It would have been only a matter of time before passing a cop or some kind of speed trap.

I've had a road rage'er follow me and beat on my window and kick my truck while I was stuck in traffic at a stop sign, with my 8 year old with me. My son got scared and I floored it down through the ditch and around the traffic in front of me then called the police.
The Marine in me wanted to get out and pound that a-hole into the pavement, but as a father, protecting my son took over. He fled and the police couldn't do anything, but I know I will see him again and then it's time to talk.

I wish we could get the full video of this.

·
Registered
382 Posts

No kidding. Just told a co-worker that I would have backed up and pulled forward a few times just to be sure they couldn't follow me as I ran for help. None of them will get a clue until someone goes rambo on them one day and takes them all out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As the SUV driver I would have done the same, but stayed on roads that I knew that would be clear. Without a firearm or some way to protect my family, my cage (also a full size SUV) would be the only way to protect them and myself. It would have been only a matter of time before passing a cop or some kind of speed trap.
Dude, it's NYC. Theres no such thing as clear roads

·
Registered
174 Posts
In a situation like this, there are no sides that are clearly in the right or wrong. I can say that the driver was less in the wrong, but can’t say his actions are justified.

You can see in the beginning that one bike swerves around and in front the Range Rover in close proximity, and lets off the throttle(I don’t think he actually applied the brakes) enough that the Range Rover came in contact with him. I believe it was unintentional of the driver to actually hit the bike. When a bike is that close, simply engine braking can close the gap fast. Add that to a driver that is distracted by all those other bikes, his family and reaction time, it is easy to hit the bike. Typically the vehicle that causes rear end damage to another is at fault but in this case I would say the driver is NOT at fault. That bike was riding irradically, and brake hard and/or swerve to avoid the rider would have caused the Range Rover to side swipe other bikes and other bikes would have plowed into the back of the Range Rover that is braking.

What happens next is not completely clear. But I can imagine the whole group stops on highway and start gathering around the Range Rover. Pack mentality typically involves yelling and screaming at the driver to get out of the car. Reports say they were making physical contact with the car. The driver had his wife and 5 month old daughter in the car. He got scared for his and his family’s safety and bolted out of there which resulted in running over bikes + people.

If you haven’t noticed, a lot of the bikes had no plates and didn’t look like the friendly type. The pack basically decided to get the guy in the Range Rover. They had more in numbers but they were too busy/idiot to realize that the Range rover is 5000+ lbs and has superior off road abilities to pretty much any vehicle on the road.

The Range Rover pulls off into city streets and gets stuck in traffic. The Range Rover gets smashed and driver gets pulled out of the car and beat. It’s nothing surprising and we all expected it from this crowd.

My opinions on this? If I was the driver I would reacted the same way. Maybe even throw it in reverse a few times and go bowling with the Range Rover and get the spares. I would have driven straight to the police station. I would have also driven erratically swerving left and right and braking so they can’t get around me. This is all in defense of me and my family. I’ll say that it’s easy to say all this because I was not in this situation. But how I would react is not too far as what this driver did.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts