RC51 Forums banner

Carbon Fiber "dipping"

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  vfrsam 
#1 ·
Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that I recently worked with a guy on one of my car forums to "dip" my engine cover in Carbon Fiber paint (I'm definitely not explaining it right)...any ways I told him that if it came out ok, that I would be sending him parts for the bikes (mirrors, now thinking about the frame and axle sliders for the duc - hell, maybe even the refridgerator:) but thought you guys would like to know - I know that it does nothing for weight but it does look good... Here's some pics - curious to see what you guys think? (the diffuser it's sitting next too is real Carbon Fiber)

I asked him to lighten and darken to see which I liked better - I like the darker better as it matches the CF on the car but you can see the lighter version on the airboxes (don't mind the intake tubes - they all yellow over time. . .)

See less See more
#4 ·
fair statement, and honestly, I would think the same. I guess for me, it's not about the cheapness but creative solutions - every performance modification and visual modification has not had price be a deterrent for it - tested bolt on's, tuners, manufacturers, are more than worth the premium for the piece of mind that said part will work, has proven not be destructive, and fit like OEM. In the case of the engine cover, air boxes etc, it just wasn't worth the cost (the airboxes are close to 3000.00 and offer up about 10-15hp, the engine cover is about 600.00 and offers up nothing). For way less than the engine cover, I had the engine cover, airboxes, fuse box lid and cabin air filter box (which are all being redone to match) "painted" CF - as you can see in the pic of the engine - the engine heat "yellows" the epoxy/clearcoat of the real CF (those tubes increase airflow by 50% - so definitely worth it) and I've spoken with other members who report the same thing happening with their CF engine covers and airboxes...I guess, in the end, I would be more upset about "real" CF that offers minimal performance value, degrading over time (sort of how I get down right PISSED everytime I scrape my front lip) than "fake" CF that never changes as a result of the engine heat and really, almost looks just as good....

Really appreciate the feedback though - as I said - my first reaction would have been to totally agree with you if I hadn't seen the product firsthand and compared it to real CF. . .

I like it...
Thanks!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.