RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ImageUploadedByMO Free1396634347.965556.jpg

Finally almost a year since we begun Carlos' rebuild project, we're heading out for a weekend's riding on some of the best road we know.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1396634463.898866.jpg

Just in time for the trip, Carlos' new Baby Face rearsets arrived, so I fitted them.

Now 3am. We leave at 8.00. Will be shooting pics over the weekend, but will upload from our phones over the trip and better quality pics after we return on Sunday. This is gonna be awesome! :D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
606 Posts
Looking forward to the pics. Have a good ride guys!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
"SUBSCRIBED":D:D:D

And remember if you encounter any tunnels ride side by side and enjoy the sound :D

We have a highway tunnel here and I rode thru with 2 RC's and a VTX 1800 in the mix many years ago and still get goosebumps :D

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The last time I did a Sakura tour with other bikes around Fuji we ride through some amazing cherry blossoms. Hoping to see same. No doubt there will be some traffic but nothing that cannot be passed. Cloudy outside ImageUploadedByMO Free1396649375.434393.jpg

This is the view from Carlos' family apartment. Once the sun is fully up it'll get brighter.

Time to wake Carlos up... And the neighbourhood! :eek:!

I wanna hear these bikes thunder in the car park below! :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Im in...uh this is a free tour right?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Holy crap, that looks like fun! Two of the prettiest bikes in all of japan! I want to see some pics and videos!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the delay guys...! :D
Once we got to Fuji mountain Carlos realised he'd forgotten his iphone and only then did I realise my mobile internet had no coverage...But we took lots of pictures to share. :)

First off, we stopped at Odawara for lunch & felt it would be rude not to take a picture of Sakura (Cherry blossoms) in front of the Castle there.

Then we headed up the Toyo Tires Turnpike.
This is the Northern way onto the Skyline roads which run on top of the mountain range connecting Shizuoka to Izu. The turnpike is the road used by car magazines as a testing ground. At the top is a stunning view.

Already I had a big cheezy grin plastered on my face.

The bike was running well.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I then took Carlos to experience some of my favourite roads. Up until 3 years ago these used to be the back roads to get home, when my family & I lived in Shizuoka, so I know these well. Carlos wisely took it easier, as this was his first time riding a bike of this size and power. There are countless corners - it's just turn after turn ALL day long with stunning views around every corner.

We did some 100km of mountain riding, before stopping again to take some pictures.

Carlos asked me to ride his bike to see how it felt. It's still running the standard map and is a bit snatchy at part throttle, but safe enough for now. It'll be mapped properly once it gets to the UK.

We planned to take action pics the following day, but he shot this one as I pulled into the car park.

His exhaust was sounding better & better as it got used... and the hotter parts started turning blue too.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On our way down the mountain we swapped bikes again. I found the standard suspension really not too bad, especially with an uprated lower link and the brakes offering plenty of confidence. Mapping was obviously a little glitchy and a bit lower in power & response than mine, but overall his bike was nice.

As the sun began to set, I thought it would be nice to visit an old country lodging that used to be used around 100 years ago by the Emperor, when in Gotemba, which is open to the public. Some pretty gardens here, especially during Sakura season.

The lodging.

More Sakura trees outside. Spring is my favourite season in Japan...

Our lodgings for the night were at a pension near Lake Yamanaka, which is roughly 900m in elevation...as we rode there in the early evening the temperatures fell quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It had started to snow lightly around 10pm. Carlos had suggested we ride the bikes closer to the main road and leave them there for the night, but I knew it would be above freezing in the morning and they'd be safest where they had been parked for the night.

This is the view that met my eyes at 7am.

By around 9am, after we'd had breakfast the snow was already melting.

But there was still snow on the roadside.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yamanakako is about 20 minutes ride down a twisty road to Fuji Raceway and with rain beginning to fall lightly as we got close, I suggested we shoot some pics of the bikes together. We gave them a clean with a few squirts of Zaino quick detailer and polished with a microfiber cloth.

I did think of starting them whilst he stood there with his eyes closed and roasting his nads.. :D

Riding the SP2 on this circuit (Which was 5 mins from our home at the time) - was the reason I wanted to improve my SP. Sadly as Carlos' SP will shortly be headed for the UK, we'll never ride our bikes on there together - but these pics will record this weekend.

We then headed back to Yamanaka lake to my favourite cafe for fresh baked apple pie, ice cream and coffee, but thought we'd stop at a temple on the way and shoot a few more pics.

Which was good, as we were just in time to shoot a bride & groom in traditional Japanese costumes.

With family friends trailing behind.

This is a water fountain with Fuji spring water and me doing my best impersonation of the dragon below me.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We had been planning to ride back on the same mountain roads we'd taken yesterday as the long way home. Looking behind us towards Fuji and Yamanaka lake the sky was ominous, but the mountain range we'd be on had sunshine....

But then it begun snowing....heavily!
Which tuned into sleet, then rain - So we stopped for a late lunch.

By the time we came out, the clouds had moved over the mountains we'd hoped to ride back on. But we'd had an unforgettable day's riding on Saturday and had a great weekend, so we opted to head back to Tokyo.

The Scala intercom system worked very well for the return trip. I was very impressed with it (Thanks Rider's Discount! :D)

Thanks also Atif for your text message - So cool to get your well wishes all the way from Riyadh! :)

"SUBSCRIBED":D:D:D

And remember if you encounter any tunnels ride side by side and enjoy the sound :D

We have a highway tunnel here and I rode thru with 2 RC's and a VTX 1800 in the mix many years ago and still get goosebumps :D

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for your post wingnutt. :D

As we rode into Tokyo, Carlos commented that we'd had a weekend of riding as we liked and had no trouble at all. Yet there, along the road was a Police car that had pulled up a guy on a scooter.

Then as we were one minute from Starbucks at Roppongi hills, I did what we did in every tunnel as I headed down the hill... I opened the throttle fully! :D
...Before blipping twice quickly and changing down a couple of gears whilst braking to slow for a merging lane. ..
Sudenly we see two uniformed police step out cautiously onto the road with flourescent battons asking me to stop... LOL

I smiled and opened the throttle again. I mean, what were they thinking I'd do???!! :) :D :p

Carlos then did the same, before we both pulled up at the Starbucks around the corner. No, of course they didn't come after us. There's easier meat to catch for those guys. :eek:
We enjoyed another coffee whilst watching the beautiful fashionable women walking past. Us - in our rough riding gear with unshaven faces. :p

We then went via Ricoland, to check out some cool bike parts and try on new helmets before heading back to Carlos'. The bikes were back where they'd started some 36 hours earlier.
An awesome weekend. I'll let Carlos add his comments when he gets a chance.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Love all the pictures, thanks for sharing guys.
The old Japanese castles and all the cherry blossoms are great shots, lots of cherry blossom trees here in Victoria as well - also all in full bloom.

:cool:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Cherry Chicanes & Confident Chaps Not In China.

Wow !
All I can say is that I wish I'd been there.

Thanks for sharing, Miguel.

But how the heck did Carlos forget his 'phone ?
Oh, wait ! I'd have done the same at my excitement of going on such an epic ride .. . .

Take Care.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts