RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Guys.
Some may know that I have a brother in Houston, whom I'm trying to get on a bike. He just called me here in Riyadh, asking how much he should dole out for a 2009 Honda Repsol Edition CBR1000RR. It has 7200 miles, PCIII, Nojima exhaust w/headers, Sato rear hooks, R&G tail tidy, ASV F5 adjustable levers, HRC solo seat cowl & rear spools. Excellent condition, w/o any cosmetic blemishes, etc.
I've asked him to have it looked at by a cerified m/c mechanic.
I was a little sarcastic with him, saying that he's been telling me he wants a bike for the last 3 yrs., but that if he still hasn't bought one, what makes him think that I should believe him now? He SEEMS to be serious this time.
And since I'm so selfish that I'd want a bike to ride whenever I'm in Houston, I thought to jump on this & find out what ya'll think he should get it for, provided that it is mechanically sound.
Seller wants $ 9500.00 for the bike, whose Kelly Blue Book value is listed at $ 8800.00 And I've suggested that if it's mechanically good, to bring just CASH to the table in $ 100.00 bills.
I know it's not an RC-51 & I tried my BEST, but he did not want to buy one.
Boo hoo, poor me !
Thanks in advance,
Ride Safe & Friendly,
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Seems a little over priced ?? But hey I am a cheap basterd LOL
Go with $8000 in cash ( $100 hundys ) and I bet he rides away.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
The Blade will definitely give you a better handling feeling, endless torque in high rpm and better geometry than our old lady. That's for sure......

However, I would ask myself just this: will I LOVE her after 2 or 3 or 5 years together?

I will celebrate our 5 year relationship with my RC next April, and I am really in love with her as I was the first day I rode her.
And that is what really matters to me when it comes to a relationship.

Just my $0.02 :)

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I'm with Duckhunter on this, offer $8000 in cash and see. The goodies listed are nice additions, but in reality only add value if it's the stuff a buyer would be putting on himself, but once on the bike $.35 on the buck is about it. Bike itself is worth maybe <$7k depending on local market conditions and it is winter season (I know, it's the dealer in me...).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Is that supposed to be his first bike ever?
Have him buy good gear and a cheap used sv 650 :eek:
Sign him -up for track school and THEN think about a liter bike. especially a mint limited cbr 1k rashfree 9k ??? rocket... horrible choice for a new rider or even a semi retired rider IMHO

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
This has disaster written all over it! Sv,fzr,f4 etc would be way better to learn with

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rider Remorse (!?)

Holy Crap !, Cluchless45 !! I was so busy thinking about myself & of having a bike to ride in Houston, that I didn't even THINK of the fact that this will technically be his FIRST BIKE !! (But then again, I usually don't think. Which is why I went to Med. School).
Yes, Wingnutt, I've been on him to go to a track school for the last 3 years. And I definitely agree with your opinion that a new or semi retired rider maybe should not have a literbike to begin with. Does it count that he had my bike for a year & rode it to the local StarBucks occasionally ?
Budoka, I share your thoughts re: pricing. My suggestion to him was to offer $ 7500.00 in $ 100s & then to walk away if the seller still does not budge on a final offer of $ 7750.00 Some people change their mind when the see a wad of cash, instead of a piece of paper that they have to cash at a bank.
MakisRC51, I most heartedly agree with you regarding character & soul. (I'm talking about the bike & NOT myself, as I obviously LACK BOTH for agreeing to my brothers' wish to buy a literbike !).
I've had my 2002 RC-51 since new & I will NEVER part with it. (except when I die & preceed it in death/demise).
I hope you guys forgive me if he goes ahead & buys it, as it's just 2 months left, before I visit him in Houston, Texas.
Thank you for sharing your opinions, Guys. I really do appreciate it.
Ride Safe & Friendly,
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
^ A Dustaroo is what you got right now....Time for a bath !!!

You need to do some mods my friend.......Exhaust set being #1 on the list. As I said before make her your own.;):D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It could have just been pure luck your brother didn't wreck your RC when he was riding it for that one year. Or, maybe he's the next MotoGP talent waiting in the wings. Then again, parking lot pimping at the local Starbucks isn't all that dangerous (or is it?).

However you slice it up, the statistics usually point towards a literbike being a poor decision for a 1st bike. Hopefully your brother has at least the basic MSF class (or equivalent) under his belt. There's also a "Returning Rider Course" class via the MSF that he can take if he's ridden before and wants to brush up on his skills.

If he's truly set on getting a literbike and has to have a Repsol Fireblade, have him surf over on the Repsol owners message forum (can Google for it) and check out the classified section in there too (not a lot of traffic, but it is a niche audience, much like this board).

Make sure he verifies the bike is an official Repsol via the VIN as well (he should be able to contact Honda customer support to confirm this - instead of paying top dollar for a regular Fireblade that has China plastics slapped on it or whatever).

Strongly encourage him to get signed up for some formal training and/or a track school...

G'luck.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Some good advice here. I'd recommend reconsidering and buying a semi off-road bike.
Learn to use that off road, not going to Starbucks (Much more fun - Honestly! :D), then once he's comfortable pushing that to it's limits, go to a 600 and finally to a Fireblade.
Too big a bike as a 1st will probably intimidate him so he never becomes a good rider or be an accident waiting to happen...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Numb Novice.

Thank you for your valuable input, Stig.
You're right, as well, COBRA90GT. I don't think he's MotoGP material just yet. Your advice has been very helpful in reinforcing what I've been saying to him for the last 3 yrs. I just got off the 'phone with him. It's 11 AM CST in Houston right now. He's at a dealership, talking to the GM.
Screamin Chief, I appreciate & realize the seriousness of what you said & agree. But I can't persuade him to do something other than what he's already set out for himsef. He's in his mid forties, so hopefully he'll have better sense than to do something foolish.
I made the jump to literbikes from my 175 cc dual purpose Kawasaki. I started on a 100 cc dual purpose bike. However, I went to track school as soon as I got my RC-51 & learnt to handle one properly. I did not do anything foolish & always gave myself a large margin of safety/error on the street. Of course, we've all done some "dangerous" stuff, but it's always a calculated risk. I don't want to die just yet. Most importantly, I don't want anything to happen to my RC-51. Not worth getting into an accident. At the very least it'll be a very bad day, with damage to something that gives you so much joy. And at the very worst, one could end up with loss of life or limb, God-Forbid. Just not worth it, at all.
Well, Gentlemen. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your thoughts & most importantly, your concerns, with me.
I have conveyed these to my brother.
Like I tell my near & dear ones, when they ask me to quit riding, especially now that we're expecting another child. My time to die was written long before I was born & sent to this World.
That does not mean that I should go & do something silly such that the manner of my demise be changed to 'Morgue via Motorcycle' (!).
Ride Safe & Friendly,
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Still I dont like what I see when I look at it......I know that it is way better in handling and power than the 04-07 model but still looks ugly to me.
Can't explain it.......
You my friend are another Die hard, Just like me/the rest of us here !!!

That explains it just fine, I said I like it, not that I would own it....
I'm faithful to my ladies:eek::D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts