RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to know is there anyone that would let me try a cdi box. I believe mine is bad but can't tell. My problem is the fuel pump wont prime And I have got no spark. I am try a another bank angle sensor today. Buri would like to try a box before I would buy one. If anyone can help let me know. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Have you also checked your engine stop switch?
If the stop switch is bad, the engine will turn over, but the fuel pump won't prime.

Also check the black and red/orange wires at your bank angle sensor relay.
With the ignition switch on and the engine stop switch in the run position, you should be getting power through the windings for the relay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you also checked your engine stop switch?
If the stop switch is bad, the engine will turn over, but the fuel pump won't prime.

Also check the black and red/orange wires at your bank angle sensor relay.
With the ignition switch on and the engine stop switch in the run position, you should be getting power through the windings for the relay.

If I am not getting power what's that mean?

·
Registered
28 Posts
motor stopped running midsteam got lights turns over fine just doesn't fire
Same thing mine did. Running along about 65, then dead.We checked every connection, pulse generator, tip over switch, kickstand, all that shit. About 4 hours later one of the guys says"you know, the CDI could be shot. Sure enough, he pulled his off his 51, put it on mine, ole girl fired right up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I just put a jump wire on the kill switch to see if it works? Also I got bike wrecked now trying to get running could the cdi box just stop working when wrecked?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like you have another issue. For whatever reason, you are not getting power where you need it. If you don't have a service manual, I strongly suggest you download one. I have good ole paper one, and it is worth its weight in gold.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you know what relay would give power to both? I checked fuel pump relay it was good. is there another one?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I JUST resolved a similar problem yesterday. Search the forum and you will find a lot of possible solutions. I ended up having to swap out the fuel cutoff relay with my high beam relay and got it running again. My Instrument panel worked fine and there were no FI codes coming up. The fuel pump wasnt priming so I went through and checked out the possible relays until if fired up. I would search the forum before buying another CDI. Good luck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am not sure about the power to the plug but the relay is on the right side of the subframe. Mine had been taken off and relocated by the previous owner so I had to ID it by the colour of the leads. That one has 2 black/white, brown, and brown/black. Try switching it out with the high beam relay which is just in front of the left radiator in the upper fairing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I did that but the head light worked just the fuel pump didn't. That's why I was wondering if there is suppose to be power there

·
Registered
188 Posts
I switched it out with the all the relays back there; fuel cutoff and BAS. If it is neither of those I would search the forum but hopefully its not the CDI. They're about $160.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can u tell me how many relays should be in the back? I got two relays and one with two allen screws and I see to other plugs that look like they could use a relay but not sure

·
Registered
188 Posts
On the left side is the ignition relay which is the one with the screws and under a red rubber cover as well as the BAS and turn signal relay-- or at least it is on mine. The right should have the fuel cutoff relay and the CDI box. The turn signal relay is noticeably different from the BAS and fuel cutoff relays .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts