RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my bike on a rear stand, it feels smooth to rotate the rear wheel and I have about 1" of chain slack. While it was still on the rear stand, I dropped it into gear (I know I shouldn't be doing this) and let out the clutch slowly and I noticed the chain seems like it's clacking about and coming off the chain guide randomly. I cleaned the chain with a chain cleaner and applied Chain Wax almost to a point of excess, but I'm sitll getting the unsmooth chain action. I was thinking of bring it back to the place where I got my tires recently because I thought it might be an alignment problem. When I ride it, there aren't any real problems however. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Ditto on sitting on your bike to check chain slack. I'm not a fan of wax either. I like the synthetic lube a lot better. Could be a regional thing tho.
Have you guys found the hash marks on the swingarm to be accurate from one side to the other? For aliagning the axle and chain? Mine seems to be. Havn't had a laser on it, but i like that idea.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either my hash marks aren't accurate or my alignment's off. In either case I'm bringing it to the dealership tomorrow.

Also, I used to use Repsol brand chain lube and it worked great for me but decided to try chain wax since I had heard so many great things about it. I haven't had a bike long enough to see a chain go on me so I couldn't really tell ya, but the lube did seem a bit cleaner to apply.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Around here, pretty lo humidity, n hot summers, wax just doesnt hold up as well as a good synthetic lube will. I have tried several types, but like the Motorex best.
After you get your bike back, and you know the chain is aligned, you should reference your alignment marks on the swingarm @ the axle and see how accurate they are to each other. Sometimes i use my phone camera to get a really close look at things...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Bought a Pro-Aligner a year ago. Found my SP-2's swingarm alignment marks way off base. Using the $30 Aligner requires that the rear tire to lifted off the ground using a rear stand, etc. Aligns front tire first and then this alignment is used to set the rear.
Simple and easy to use. Great track tool.
Stopped using Dupont Teflon Lube, and got a Tutoro dual injector chain luber instead. Using Amsoil Chain saw/bar oil to reduce slinging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts