RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't exactly RC-specific, but I'm asking here anyway.

I was setting out to clean and lube up my chain for the first time after buying my bike. After getting all the gunk off, I notice the chain and sprockets look like crap. The gold stuff on the chains are flaking off, and the sprockets look really crappy as well.

Does anyone know what could be the reason for this? Is it just a chain which is nearing the end of it's life? I have a similar chain on my NC30 as well, which is a lot older, and that looks nowhere near as bad as this, so that's why I'm asking.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Yeah, its corrosion where the previous owner didn't take care of it.

Time for a complete change so you have the peace of mind when riding....

Two words....Liquid Wrench. Soak those nuts and bolts first before attempting to remove them.

Since you are from Norway, I can only imagine salt air had something to do with this condition...and the previous owners negligence.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hell, unless the chain has tight links, lube it up and ride. Do you want a trailer queen or a bike to ride? The sprocket isn't all worn out, so more than likely it looks that way because of how long the bike sat without use. As far as the chain, well it's just plated and the plating is flaking off. So what. The plating doesn't ride on the sprocket, the rollers do so again, unless there is a tight link, ride it!!

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
It doesn't stop at just lube it and go ride. Before you go riding off into the sunset in a state of RC51 bliss, take a few minutes to check a couple things.
Bike on stand, in neutral, turn the tire forward direction by hand and examine the chain as it rotates. Any tight spots or catchy links?
As you're rotating the tire look at the chain's o-rings for any damage.
Chain slack should be set 25-30 mm's.

What I could see of your sprocket actually looks pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. When I inspected the sprockets and chain, they looked okay except for the flaking and corrosion obviously, which put me off a bit at first. I will inspect the chain again with your suggestions in mind, thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts