RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be having a recurring problem with my chain. It keeps lossening off, I checked the search function and dont think its been mentioned before. Im afraid that if i keep tightening it then it will snap, so have left it just now, but its pretty loose.

anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
317 Posts
yep I have to tighten my chain about every 500 miles, using a RK 520, it's garbage the DID on my dad's bike only needs it about every 2000 miles given it appears to be a 540 or 550 chain lol

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
cheap chains don't usually last so well, or if you're at the end of the chain's life then it will quickly need adjustment. If it's at the end of it's life, sounds like you need to replace it and the sprockets pronto - before it snaps and does your engine cases in...

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do the teeth on your sprockets look? Are they getting all hogged out too?
my rear sproket is still nice and sharp (pics on my winter project thread) cant see the front sproket, but since its got the nicky mod its prob still quite new.

what do you mean by hogged out?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Texas Chain Saw Massacre

my rear sproket is still nice and sharp (pics on my winter project thread) cant see the front sproket, but since its got the nicky mod its prob still quite new.

I do believe what John means is whether your sprockets look like they're worn out.

Then again, I may be wrong.
English "technically" is not my "first language".

Hope you get it sorted out, Polarbear.
Take Care.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
If you buy good quality chain and sprockets they will easily last 12,000 miles with very little stretch after the initial 500 miles. I've seen some guys run the DID 520 kits with AFAM Sprockets to 24,000 miles on the street which is longer than the 15,000 something miles I have gotten from them, but I am not exactly taking it easy on them either

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts

Don't laugh at me too much, but here's a very hogged out sprocket on top of it's new replacement. :p

fwiw, I got a little over 15,000 miles plus what ever milage the PO put on it. That sprocket came on the bike along with an AFAM chain.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
just for fun...

This is a 520 chain set.
AFAM chain, AFAM alum 42 tooth, and a steel 15 tooth.

I don't know what the steel stock 530 set weighs, but this set comes in at a svelte 4 lbs, 6 oz - 1.98 kg

I guess add a feeeewww more grams for all the missing material from the teeth. ;)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Don't laugh at me too much, but here's a very hogged out sprocket on top of it's new replacement. :p

fwiw, I got a little over 15,000 miles plus what ever milage the PO put on it. That sprocket came on the bike along with an AFAM chain.

Wow if this is the standard wear out I should be looking to get I could have got thousands more miles from mine lol damn JD that's pushing the limits haha.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Slackers.

Hey, John.
I just woke up & got online to check my mail & came across the picture of your sprocket. What a scare, first thing in the morning for me. I almost had an MI (Myocardial Infarction) !
How the heck were you even able to get the wheels to turn with that chain ?
Really ?!?

LDH, I noticed the IROC-Z decal on that bike. Was that your's ?
Having chest pains now.

Before I left Houston, I had 24000 miles on my bike. I had both sprockets & the chain replaced with OEM parts. The mechanic at Honda of Houston on West Rd. in Houston, TX. told me that everything was in very good condition & that I could have gotten another 10000 miles out of the chain & sprockets. That's how gentle I am with my RC.

Have a good morning, gentlemen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Checked for rattle in the chain as per LDH post. still feels strong and together with no fragile rattles.

Also took a pic of my sprocket, how does it look?

P.S - no stupid comments about it needing a clean, this bike gets used and lives in the real world - where the weather aint always perfect.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts