RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very dumb question I know !! I am an x-moto guy , I have an 02 RC51 .. what should I use on the chain and how often should I lube it ?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Clean and lube your chain at least every 600 miles. Check adjustment about same.
I'd use a kerosene based chain cleaner like Maxima chain cleaner or such.
I myself am currently using Motorex Race chain lube.
If you lube it with the chain hot (as in after a day of riding) and then let it set over night, you get almost no oil spatter (just a very tiny amount).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I clean mine with pure kerosene and a soft toothbrush every 200 miles or so. Then use DuPont multi-purpose teflon dry lube. Hey Sub-sailer, am I over doing it? By the way, ups, don't forget the chain slider.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I clean mine with pure kerosene and a soft toothbrush every 200 miles or so. Then use DuPont multi-purpose teflon dry lube. Hey Sub-sailer, am I over doing it? By the way, ups, don't forget the chain slider.
No, sounds good to me.
I use a grunge brush myself to scrub the chain.
When I run out of chain lube, I try different brands just to compare.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a can of Maxima and PJ1 blue label (clear)!
The PJ1 stuff sucks ass! It comes out of the can so fast I literally could stand 3 feet away from my chain and lube it from afar! I'm going to try the Dupont stuff next, then the Repsol, then go back to Maxima if I don't like the prvious ones mentioned!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use Tirox chain cleaner (kerosene based) and it comes with a fantastic spiral brush that goes on the chain to clean it. Then after that's cleaned off and dried I spray the chain with that DuPont Multi-Use Teflon spray (blue can). So +1 on the DuPont!

Due to the low miles I put on over the summer my maintenance goes like this:
Spring
Clean the chain thoroughly, rinse off (per Tirox instructions), and dry.
Ride the bike around for about 10 miles to heat up the chain.
Spray with DuPont teflon spray

Summer
Every 400-450 miles check the tension and lube only. Unlike most other more sticky lubes I found DuPont's spray doesn't attract a whole lot of grime and grit from the road. It's also somewhat self-cleaning so when the chain is warm and I spray on a new coat it partially washes away the previous crap that was on the chain.

Fall
Lube only, store, and wait for spring.

*-Regardless of mileage I lube the chain after every bike wash as well.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I have been using the Dupont Chain saver. It is the motorcycle chain lube version of the Multi-use Teflon. Wally world (walmart) has it on the motorcycle shelf. Seems to be doing the job.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use the Motul Factory Racing stuff. I really like it, I can feel better responsiveness right after I clean and lube, and it doesn't fling like other stuff I've tried.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've used the Dupont Multi-use a few times now and have noticed more black stuff flinging off. Is that what will come off, or do I need to clean it more before applying? Get the chain warmer first?

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Agent Clark: You could try both suggestions you had. If the chain wasn't all that clean coming from a previous lube, there could be buildup I suppose that is still flinging off. I tend to find the DuPont stuff has a self-cleaning property to it when I spray it on the chain that displaces some (not all) of the previously built up spots that end up dripping off in a puddle as I spin the chain. It's not perfect, nor is it intended to be a complete cleaning solution, but it seems to have some capabilities there.

Next time I lube my chain I'll completely clean off the inside of the swing arm and my license plate mount (covers the rear sprocket) and check to see how much stuff flings off. Maybe it's happening to me but I'm not noticing it because it's not getting all over the tail of my bike.

@DRFLGD: Are you using the straw with the nozzle? It's a more concentrated stream with that (I've tried it without the straw and yes, it went everywhere!). You can control the flow rate by trying not to compress the nozzle all the way either.

I'll try to shoot some pics and a vid next time I do mine. I do get some splatter on the rear wheel, but it doesn't go anywhere else much beyond that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pretty sure the black stuff is just dust. I've taken my front sprocket cover off and it's clean and no throwing off. I clean mine with pure kerosene most every time before applying spray and think it's best to warm it up first. I like the Dupont. Wax seems to eventually build up in the front sprocket cover.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I bought a new chain and sprockets and then started using the Dupont. I cleaned the chain with paint thinner. Then warmed the chain by riding it a bit. I cut a peice of cardboard as a back board (goes between the chain and the tire). Lube the chain and let it sit for 30 min (as the instructions state). I have not had any black stuff or excess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts