RC51 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, new member here, just long time lurker when I google for answers.

My 03 RC51 chain rubbing on the side of swing arm. Recently the chain slider broke off, and chain were lose.

I replaced the chain slider, and adjusted the chain a little tighter. Found out the chain got a tighter spot. So I adjusted based on that tighter spot.

The chain still continues to rubbing on side of swing arm. I noticed bit of metal on chain. How can I solve this? is my alignment off? should I tighten chain a little bit more?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
The chain should not rub against the side of the swingarm.
Is your wheel aligned both angularly and laterally to the front sprocket?
In other words, is the rear sprocket perfectly in parallel to the front sprocket? Do the alignment marks on the swingarm show the same amount.
Does the middle of the chain glide over the center of raised ridge on the plastic chain slider near the front of the swingarm?
If using a chain other than the standard 530 chain, is the front sprocket properly mounted on the front shaft?
If no, then you have some issues to check into.
If your chain and sprockets are new, you should not have any loose/tight, high/low spots while rotating the rear wheel. Should be nice and uniform.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is your front sprocket on backwards, or is it the wrong sprocket? You need to find what is causing this, then get a new chain and both sprockets, and maybe change to a 520 chain as it is a bit thinner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't know what happen to my last response, it got deleted or something.

so the chain 520 and spocket is about 12k miles together. the last time the rear wheel was removed for changed of tires at a shop. So that's about 3k ago. the bike is about 38k miles, so never happen before.

when I first noticed the rubbing, because the chain slider broke off, along with thinking lose chain. I replaced the chain slider and adjusted the chain. I eyes ball the chain after adjusting from the back of the wheel, free rolling to check alignment, it looks normal. I noticed the chain rise up a bit by the front sprocket.

I was told by someone that my rear wheel spacer, a thin spacer and a thicker spacer, might be putting on opposite side. I just need to swap it to opposite side? and that might solve it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Could well be, but if you got the wheel spacers wrong youd have horrible issues with the rear brake

·
Registered
12 Posts
Chain alignment tool. Cheap tool to get on amazon.
You can u toob how to use it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I called the dealer and going to bring it in and have them look at it. I'll update you guys on the cause of it for future FYI.
The service guy said something along the line might replace the chain and sprocket. Do the 525 chains fit on our bike? Since I have one laying around.

·
Registered
'01 SP1
21 Posts
people frequently swap the RC to 525 or even 520 for weight savings but it does require matching sprockets. 525 chain will not play nice on 530 sprockets

1 - 10 of 10 Posts