RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering should I change my sprockets and chain ? The sprockets both still have the "u" between the sprockets not the famous "v" wear and also there is number on the rear sprocket idk if its a part # or what . The chain says DID on the links , ImageUploadedByMO Free1371485604.476627.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Can tell much from the photo on what condition your chain and sprockets are.

If you're developing a tight spot in the chain, or the chain is requiring frequent adjustments, then it may be time to replace the set.

Also if your sprocket teeth are showing undercutting by the chain in sort of hooked shape, then it's time.

For the most part, it's the chain that wears out the sprockets.
As the bushings in the chain rollers wear, the roller's center to center distance increases, and that puts more pressure on the sides of the sprocket teeth and starts the wear process.
That's why both chain and sprockets must be replaced as a set.

By the look of the photo, it appears your may running a Vortex sprocket.
Vortex often has the sprocket type and tooth number near the sprocket hub or spoke.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
An extreme example of a bad sprocket on top of a brand new one. This one was allowing the chain to skip. No Bueno!

You should have about 25 -30mm of slack in your chain.
Here I have 28mm. I used the center of the pin as reference.
I measure the bottom part - equal distance from front to back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@jondog,. I checked the slack it still 28mm , the teeth on my sprocket looks like your pik , but the sprocket in the back,. Definitely , not that that horrible front one ... I'm leaning towards a pc3 because reading everywhere on here they say that will take away the low RPM/speeds jerking but I'm mostly on the highway 80% of the time , and I want a reputable tuner to dyno the bike as I only have yoshi slipons and k&n. filters ,..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
if your in the middle of the chain, between front and back sprokets, when i lift my chain it can touch the underside of the swingarm!

do i need to tighten it or am i measuring it wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
if your in the middle of the chain, between front and back sprokets, when i lift my chain it can touch the underside of the swingarm!

do i need to tighten it or am i measuring it wrong?
didnt mean to hijack the thread or anything but i do need an answ to this, cos ive got a big ride out on fri and would like to sort this b4 i go. dont wanna tighten it if it doesnt need it man

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
didnt mean to hijack the thread or anything but i do need an answ to this, cos ive got a big ride out on fri and would like to sort this b4 i go. dont wanna tighten it if it doesnt need it man
Tightening your chain is so easy, don't hesitate to set it right. All you need is a torque wrench with a big socket (can't remember, something like a 32 mm) and two small open end wrenches (12 mm and 10 mm I think).

And when I set mine recently myself, when I lift the middle of the chain it does touch the bottom of the swing arm (well, the protective plate under there anyway).

And when my dealer just installed my new tires yesterday, they had to re-set the chain slack of course, and it's exactly the same as when I set it: It does touch the bottom of the swing arm when you lift it.

The chain is supposed to move up & down a total of 1.0 - 1.4 inches from bottom (just sitting there) and top (so basically against the bottom of the swing arm)

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I've always done both sprokets and chain together, got the thing on the stand anyway so.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
that doesnt sound right
From the manual, pdf page 79 aka section 3-20:

DRIVE CHAIN

CHAIN SLACK INSPECTION

Turn the ignition switch to "OFF", place the motorcycle on its side stand and shift the transmission into neutral.

Check the slack in the drive chain lower run midway between the sprockets.

CHAIN SLACK: 25 - 35 mm (1.0 - 1.4 in)​

The only other real options I can think of would be to require purchase of a separate bike stand (like many of us but not all do) or require a second person to sit on the bike while you set the chain slack, neither of which are as easy as just telling owners how to set it using the side stand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts