RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 RC battery not charging while riding. Meter reads 12.4 volts at idle, but isn't charging enough to start the motor after I turn it off. Wondering if someone could help me diagnose the problem. Stator, pulse generator, or CDI box?

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Pulse generator and converter deal with ignition timing and power to the ignition coils.

Your problem may lie with either the stator or the regulator/rectifier.
Rev your engine to 4000-5000 RPM and check the output.
It should be at least 13.5V, but not over 15.5V.

I'd suggest downloading the service manual here:
http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

Disconnect the rectifier/regulator connector and measure the stator coil resistance.
For each coil, it should be .2 to .5 ohms (although I've seen .6 ohms).
If a reading is open or out of spec, you may have a bad stator.
Then measure each winding to ground. If no resistance, you have shorted stator coil needing replacement stator.
If the stator checks out, then it might be a bad rectifier/regulator.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just had the same problem with my 2005 model -- almost the same readings. It was my stator and rectifier.

Apparently, these parts were shared with the 1000RR. My mechanic says he's seen this many times on these Hondas of these years.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Are you sure it is not the battery just not holding a charge?
We'll probably have to wait and see what his charging system output is at around 4000-5000 RPM.
If it's 13.5V or better, then his system is ok and it's probably the battery not holding a charge.
At idle the bike is using the battery to offset the lower charging output.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
This should be a stickie......as many as I have seen on this site, the routine troubleshooting/ repair should be posted.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts