RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys if your headlights are unplugged while checking readings at the battery with meter,will this cause higher readings? I was getting 16+ readings while the bike was running...

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a Shorai battery,bike not running its at 13.2... I will get some lights and do the test.I was thinking with no lights it would have all that xtra charge and read higher than 14+ But it seems like Makis says regardless it should read the normal specs...

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The charging system should never exceed 15.5 volts!!
If your system is at 16 volts, don't ride the bike until you get the problem fixed.

With a lead-acid battery, the risk is the battery can get overcharged and boil the electrolyte and build internal pressure inside the battery.
This can potentially cause the battery to explode.

I have a buddy who had this happen on his Suzuki while on a trip.
He had no idea his rectifier/regulator had malfunctioned until the battery exploded, and not only dumped acid on everything, the power surge destroyed anything and everything electrical and electronic.

On a lithium battery, over-charging could potentially not only cause the battery to explode, but also catch fire, along with the bike.

A few months ago, Cal Crutchlow's pit garage caught fire.
The cause was found to be the bike's battery powered starter unit, which used lithium batteries that were damaged somehow.

·
Registered
382 Posts
13.2 is fine for the battery, but like the others said, if the system while running is over x voltage you need a new regulator. headlight on or off shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well In another thread I have about how to use the multi meter and where the little dial should be at for checking certain things...Im not familiar with these at all...But figuring it out...I checked the stator and getting .5 across within spec from what Im reading and all 3 to ground with no readings at all,so that's good...I plugged everything back up and fired it up no 16 readings but climbing above 15.58..I think I might do the rectifier mod..(MOSFET type)... I'm just wondering if I do that just replace the stator also? Better safe than sorry or if ain't broke don't fix it logic...Opinions?

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
I think your stator is as good as new.

Just the reg/rec replacement should do the job just fine.

As far as the multimeter

V --- is for direct current such as the battery or the red and green lines coming from the R/R

V~ is for alternate current which is what you measure by hooking up 2 yellow lines, coming from the stator, at the time. Notice that you should measure close to 20V A.C at idle so use a large scale first.

Ω is for measuring resistance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys thanks, it is the rectifier..I forgot I had a old 2001 R1 rectifier that was good and had it stored.. I cut the wires like I was going to do the r/r mod. But since I have not ordered things yet I just used spade connects..Just a bandaid for now but everything checks out..Bike running getting 14.22 that's without the bright lights,with them on drops a little maybe 14.18 rev to 4000 rims climbs to 14.25 Even the bolt holes lined up.. Got it wired pretty nice and used zip ties where needed.. Going to order from roadstercycle everything wired and ready for like $139... Nice set up he's got,like unpar with Jim at easternbeaver has..Accept roadstercycle is here in the states...Anyways glad it all worked out and thanks for the tips Makis..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts